putting together a Hospital Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would like to put together a 10gallon hospital / quarantine tank , but i want to get off cheap.

i can use some gravel from my current tank, and fill it with water from my current tank as well.

I'll need a basic powerfilter and heater. anything else i'm missing?

What can i get all this for in US funds?

- kip

Cheap Hospital Tank

10 gal tank, bare bones 8.95 Wal Mart
Small Box filter LFS 2.00
Small Air Pump LFS/Wal Mart 6.00
25 watt heater LFS/ Wal Mart 6.00

or

If not to your liking wal mart had a 10 gallon kit recently for 30.00 and included filter and light

Les

good idea, maybe i'll pop into my walmart and see if they have the 10 gallon kit in stock.

do you think a 5 or 5.5 gallon would be too small.

most of my fish right now are an inch are two.

if in the future i get bigger fish i guess i should be prepared - i dunno.

thanks!

- kip

Well ithas been my experience that when looking for the 5 gallon tanks that they are just as exspensive as the 10 gallon set ups.....They are usually some type of acyrlic and they arent really in my eyes cost effective. Not saying that you can go that route but if you can double the space for the same money then why not do it????

Les

would go with les's first suggestion. gravel is not needed for a hospital tank. the box filter or even a sponge filter can be run off an aerator. no need for carbon as it will only remove the meds. no need for a light as you will want to keep the lights off so to releive the fish while it is convalescing. as far as keeping the tank cycled, i use the water out of the tank that i am removing the fish from and fill the hospital tank about 75%. the rest with fresh water. no need to acclimate the fish.

besides putting together the hospital tank should get a first aid kit of sorts together also. emergencies usually happen at night when the stores are closed.

semper fi

I would also suggest that you get a 10 gallon. Most med's dose per 10 gallons, and although the tablet form med's are easy to cut in half with a razor blade, if you need to use the capsules, this requires you to open them up and measure out the powder visually, or with a small scale, if you choose to go with a five gallon.

Mogo

i went with the 10 gallon.

i had thought about the doses of medicine per 10 gallon thing as well. makes sense just to get the 10. this tank was intended for one of my tiger barilius specifically, he looked real bad, but when i got back he couldn't keep his balance , swimming upside down and all around and what not, and by the time i got the new tank together, he stopped moving. poor guy.

i still got a few that i think are infected with fungus. they are going in the 10.

these fish are starting to stress ME out a little :)

- kip

i may answer my own question here, but i'll throw it out anyway. Should you keep a sponge or something in a cycled tank so it has bacteria colony growing on it. Then when u need to quarantine a fish use that sponge? I would think that he is only in there for a short time and a single fish won't create much ammonia or waste so it wouldn't be necessary. Am i correct here?

I keep the filter in my hospital tank running all the time with a couple of small bristle noses in there to create some waste and keep the tank clear of algea.

I usually remove some of the filter media from the established tank and use that. And I do as Semper mentioned, 75% water from the tank, and the rest freshwater.

Mogo

keep checking the paper and garage sales for stuff. Usually the tank tat is being sold is no good but the filter and accesories are.

Really good topic!

Does anyone know where to get reasonably priced tanks (10 g) in the west mids?

The set ups seem to be much more expensive over here, or am i looking in the wrong places?

I dont know what SteveO was reffering to when he commented about
Usually the tank tat is being sold is no good but the filter and accesories are.
I have 2 10 gallon tanks from wal mart in my home right now. I move them and they have never given me the first bit of trouble. Some of the best tank construction I have seen.
Now on to the filter from wal mart.....thats a different story unless you gut their filtration and set up your own sponge and floss......Thats the only way the one of mine did any good at all

Les

Les i think he is referring to tanks you can find at garage sales, for sale ads, etc. They typically sell the tank and all the accessories with it, cuz what good are the accessories if they have no tank ;)

Ok looking back at it he makes sence now but I wuld still have to disagree. While the tank you find at a yard sale may leak that is easily taken care of...... A little paitience and silicone works great.

I know that there are some that dont care for DIY but hey if it saves money

Les

Most reactions

trending

Back