Putting in FREEZING cold water...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My female cory got swim bladder disease. At least it looks like it. For the first few hours, she could still move around and search the gravel for food, but after a few hours, I found her upsidedown and not moving in the hidey hole. I thought she was dead, but she keeps squirming and wiggling, and is still alive. She also keeps twisting and turning as if the has a really REALLY bad stomach ache. So I am thinking that even if she does survive, she would never be able to swim well again. And she has a very little chance of survival now, I think. So I am currently putting cold water in the freezer. I am waiting until it develops that thin layer of sheet ice on the top. Then, I will break the ice, and put the cory into the freezing water. Is that humane? And do I have to dechlorinate the water first? Thanks...

swim bladder is easy to cure though!
I have a VERY high dollar betta who got swim bladder a couple of weeks ago from too much dry food (he always looked hungry as if the worms and brine weren't filling him up so I fed him betta bites and he got swim bladder :X )
But I cut him off of dried food and he swims normally now :/ ,he didn't have it severely though ,your cory sounds like she's having a rough time so the decision is really up to you,but keep in mind that it is not fatal.

If you DO do the freezer thing (yipes) DON'T just put her in the bowl and leave it on your desk or anything that won't work. I hate to even say it but....you have to put her back in the freezer...IN the bowl with very little water to make it as quick as possibe

It's a cup, not a bowl. So how long do I leave it in the freezer until the cory passes away?

Also, yours was not so serious, but mine is. Seriously, she can't even swim! She just stays there on the gravel, upside down, occationally twitching. She's going to starve, or die sooner if I don't do it now. :no:

You know there's a very informative post about euthenasia in the top part of this forum that gives some solid information on the most humane way to end your fish's suffering. It's pinned right at the top and it quite plainly says that the ice water method is a VERY painful for the fish.

I can symapthize with you. My oto began getting severly ill friday night and by Saturday morning it was looking even worse. I thought that if matters didn't change soon, I was actually going to have to steel my nerves and actually use some of the advice in the guide. But my oto decided to head to the big fish bowl in the sky without my intervention a few hours later :-(

Also, on a side note if your still planning on making a cory-cicle, I don't think you have to really worry anymore if your water is dechlorinated. Just a thought :sad:

Freezing fish to death is very cruel as has been pointed out already. The article that discusses euthenasia can be found here.

Putting fish into freezer (cold water) hasn't anything to do with hypothermia. Fish is alive and feel it when ice destroys sells... until fish dies finally..

"Location: Somewhere over the rainbow..." if this place isn't in usa, then try to find clove oil (pure eugenol). You can try to use 'search' and find more about how to use eugenol etc...

Take scissors or sharp knife and use it. Then the fish doesn't need to suffer more. It's quick and fish dies immediately without pain..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back