Purigen and Filter Bags

1L19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Which size mesh would I need in a filter bag when using Purigen in my Fluval 307 canister filters? There are bags on amazon from (20 mesh/1mm) to (100 mesh/0.149mm) and I'd like to make a good choice.

Thank you!

mesh ratings.jpg

I don't know what Purigen is but I would say after about 100 mesh you might find that the mesh restricts water flow. Assuming the Purigen is a particle of some size I would use a bag that has a smaller opening size than approximately 95 to 98% the particles of the Purigen. Put the purigen into the mesh bag and rinse it before using in filter. Suggestion based on my experience using various sieves to get more uniform grain size.

The largest mesh that can contain the material will provide the best contact to the water flowing through the filter. To estimate the particle size take a picture of the material with a good ruler and estimate the size, then at least half it before determining the mesh size.

I don't know what Purigen is but I would say after about 100 mesh you might find that the mesh restricts water flow. Assuming the Purigen is a particle of some size I would use a bag that has a smaller opening size than approximately 95 to 98% the particles of the Purigen. Put the purigen into the mesh bag and rinse it before using in filter. Suggestion based on my experience using various sieves to get more uniform grain size.

The largest mesh that can contain the material will provide the best contact to the water flowing through the filter. To estimate the particle size take a picture of the material with a good ruler and estimate the size, then at least half it before determining the mesh size.
Math is hard. :) I was hoping for someone who uses it now. Purigen has the consistency of like.. powdery sand.
I had to see what Purigen was. From the Seachem site the bag they recommend has 180 mesh. https://www.seachem.com/the-bag.php
Thanks man I didn't think to look at that product for the mesh size. Good looking out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back