Purified or distilled water with minerals added

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tazzy90

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a well with a whole house water softener. I use jugs of store bought spring water for my 5 gal betta tank. The problem is that the store doesn’t always carry the same brand I use and even with the same brand the pH and hardness can vary. I would like to know if using purified or distilled water with adding minerals back is okay? If so what brand of mineral additive would be best? I’ve seen seachem products online. It’s like playing mad scientist with spring water to get it right.

What sort of fish do you keep?

What is the GH, KH and pH of the well water?

Your best bet is to get yourself a home Reverse Osmosis unit and a TDS meter . Basic ones are reasonably priced and then mix your own tap water with it until you get to the point you want.

I have a rescued male betta in a 5 gal tank that is not cycled- his situation was dire so I had no choice but to get him into a tank quickly. I just bought a 10 gal that I want to cycle then transfer him. The well water tap (before water softener) is waay in the back of the basement. The house is over 160 yrs old and not only a dirt floor back there but the occasional black snake. So it’s not practical for me use it. Before I set up his new tank I want to get my water strategy together. That’s why I thought maybe purified water and an additive to put minerals back?

If you have hard water, you can mix it 50/50 or some other ratio to get a better pH, GH and KH for the fish. Bettas do well in water with a pH below 7.5 ad a GH below 150ppm. Depending on what the GH and pH is, you might be able to do a 50/50 mix of well and distilled/ reverse osmosis water. this would save you money by not having to buy minerals to add to the water. Most of the mineral buffers aren't well balanced either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back