Pure Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xxamyxx85

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

so I have found a local company that sells pure water, how do I remineralise it for my freshwater aquariums?

Hi,

so I have found a local company that sells pure water, how do I remineralise it for my freshwater aquariums?
Haven't done it myself but Ive heard of products such as Seachem Equilibrium and Replenish (one is recommended for planted aquariums). But I think there are plenty of other products available. What fish are you after keeping in the RO water? @seangee is probably your man here

I have bettas atm both in planted tanks and I am setting up a community tank which will house neon tetras, guppies, bristlenose pleco, corydoras and a gourami. My tap water is such poor quality and I’m getting fed up with all the messing around. I will look at the equilibrium and the replenish, thank you!

What is the pure water, is it distilled or reverse osmosis?

Rift Lake water conditioner at half strength for the guppies.

If you want to raise the GH for the other fishes, use the Rift Lake water conditioner at about 1/4 strength. However, the remaining fishes (neons, gourami, cory, pleco) all come from soft water with little mineral content.

It’s reverse osmosis.

ok great, thank you, so would I only need to add the rift lake water conditioner to make it suitable or is that combined with seachem equilibrium or something like that? How do I go about replacing the water in the tank, should the ro water be mixed with tap initially or just smaller water changes with the ro?

It’s reverse osmosis.

ok great, thank you, so would I only need to add the rift lake water conditioner to make it suitable or is that combined with seachem equilibrium or something like that? How do I go about replacing the water in the tank, should the ro water be mixed with tap initially or just smaller water changes with the ro?
No the rift stuff is instead of the Seachem stuff, different product/option.

Are you looking to completely remove your tap water from the equation? Why so?

No the rift stuff is instead of the Seachem stuff, different product/option.

Are you looking to completely remove your tap water from the equation? Why so?
Ah ok, I will have a look at all of them.

The tap has nitrates and I’ve been messing around with a nitrate removal system which is costly, it’s high in phosphates also I’m not sure how they correlate to one another. I’m very new to this but I’m sure that my tap water is not good quality, I’m constantly testing the water to find different results once I’ve put it through the filter and I just Thought getting pure water which is very cheap and adding what needs to be added would make my life easier.

I think it depends on the fish you're looking to keep and aim for their requirements concerning hardness.

If you tapwater is hard, then you could mix with RO to work towards to the hardness you require. This would also dilute the nitrogen and phosphate.

Otherwise, go for 100% RO and mix salts to get to the required hardness. Nitrogen and phosphate will be completely removed

I use RO water and use Seachem Equilibrium along with Seachem Aqualine and Acid buffers and that's it. Seems to work well and the parameters have stayed stable, for what it's worth. I was forced into this because I have terrible tap water too. You might consider buying the RO Buddy system which I think is more convenient than buying and lugging the water from somewhere every week.

I think it depends on the fish you're looking to keep and aim for their requirements concerning hardness.

If you tapwater is hard, then you could mix with RO to work towards to the hardness you require. This would also dilute the nitrogen and phosphate.

Otherwise, go for 100% RO and mix salts to get to the required hardness. Nitrogen and phosphate will be completely removed
Thank you, i find it all so confusing! So my GH is 7 and KH is 3, not sure if this is hard?

I use RO water and use Seachem Equilibrium along with Seachem Aqualine and Acid buffers and that's it. Seems to work well and the parameters have stayed stable, for what it's worth. I was forced into this because I have terrible tap water too. You might consider buying the RO Buddy system which I think is more convenient than buying and lugging the water from somewhere every week.
What is the seachem aqualine for? And I assume the acid buffers are for ph? Thank you for the info.

Sorry to hear your local water is so bad you can't use it for your aquariums. I am lucky that I have really good water and don't have to do anything thing to it. I wished I could help you but others have already given you great advice, so good luck, and hope it all works out for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back