Puntioplites proctozystron

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaAlexC1993

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has anyone kept them? My friend Kevin at Tangled Up In Cichlids has these and am thinking of getting 2 or 3. No information really online about them. He says they stay under 12''. He has them at 5-6'' currently so they are probably in teenage years.
Pretty cool looking barb. Would add them in my South American display.
What is your experience with this barb? Any photos in captivity?
Was sent this photo from Kevin when he acclimnated them.
Kinda look like a Bala Shark X Tinfoil Barb hybrid. But is a naturally occuring fish.

Attachments

• Puntioplites.jpg
    Puntioplites.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 69
The Swedish site I looked at has two size references, one saying maxing out at 30cm, ~12", the other saying grows in excess of 30cm, but does not elaborate on that. Reading the piece, I doubt they get much larger than 30cm if at all. It talks about their lifestyle, moving into flooded land eating some algae and plant material, but a lot of insects and other small creatures. Interesting find, I've never heard of them before now.

The Swedish site I looked at has two size references, one saying maxing out at 30cm, ~12", the other saying grows in excess of 30cm, but does not elaborate on that. Reading the piece, I doubt they get much larger than 30cm if at all. It talks about their lifestyle, moving into flooded land eating some algae and plant material, but a lot of insects and other small creatures. Interesting find, I've never heard of them before now.
Oh that's cool good to know! Yea I am going to get a couple of them.

The big eye might mean it gets to be a big barb Eventually. 12"+

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back