Pumpkinseed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DannyBoy17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Anyone ever kept Pumpkinseed sunfish in their aqauriums? They have as gorgeous colours as Discus, are hardy, predatory, and grow 9''. They can be found in any inland lake in NA. Sounds like the perfect fish to me!

--Dan

Actually, they get to around 14", but usually only around 9" in captivity. From what I've heard they even enjoy flakes! They're also supposed to be very personable. :)

They're cool, very cool. Most of my tanks as a kid contained these, we'd catch them from the creek, then when we had to move or they got a little too big we'd let them go again.

Baby crayfish, minnows, cichlid pellets, worms, pretty much anything they can catch and fit in their mouth. They're a type of cichlid if I remember correctly. Where I live there is this boat ramp that's on this really shallow stretch of creek, and you can see the adults guarding their eggs, they make these nests out of pebbles (you can pretty much spot them because they seem to be a slightly different color than the surrounding rocks) and chase anything that gets near. And yeah, they are very personable fish, which is probably why I found a lot of tropicals disappointing when I got them, I was spoiled already... :shifty:

You can find small babies in the spring, they hide out in rocky parts of the shore in the river, you can catch them with a regular tank net if you're quick, just make sure you don't catch any bass unless you want them too (rock bass are awesome!). If you are looking for them in a creek take a minnow sene (can't spell lol) and take a partner, it helps a lot. Then you can not only get a pumpkin but chubs, minnows, and a few other things, which can go in the tank too (don't try with red daces though as they die pretty easy, and throw any really big fat minnows (minnows, not chubs) back because they're eggladen, and it's better to keep them in the wild.

Oh, and watch out for pissed off water snakes and copperheads! They look a lot like water snakes until you get close, and you really don't want to get to close lol.

Tell me how it goes!

he means when it's an adult.

Be gentle folks :good:

Now then, onto another subject, sounds like a good river setup that could work with hillstream loaches and Panda gaaras.

They have some, what were called, pumkinseed fish at the aquarium on the lake in Windermere (Lake District UK) there was a sign saying they were commonly sold as aquarium fish but often released into the wild as they grew too big for tanks and now cause problems as an invasive species so have been banned from sale in the UK. Nice looking fish but HUGE!
DD

From what I've seen fishing, they don't get huge at all.
:/ never fished in the cheasapeake bay have you? specifically near the navel academy pier.. 0_o when pops had a boat we got 10" all the time.

I could always catch a small one and release it later when it gets too big.
yes.. but you have to think.. are you making said pumpkin seed unable to live in the while? now I might sit aroudn and way to see a human before it thinks there is food..

Most reactions

trending

Back