Pulling the Trigger

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Its not that the congos will be aggressive its just that congos are a lot more active fast swimming fish and should be kept with like tetras. Rummynose are slower swimmers and form tighter shoals than a lot of tetras thsy do well with other slow swimming tetras like neons glo light tetra emperor tetra flame tetra black neon cardinal tetra ember tetra maybe lemon tetra dwarf pencil fish, not blood fin tetra or blue tetra as they are fast active swimmers and not with serpaes, skirts, or columbians that are either too active or too nippy.
Candy cane tetra and phantom tetra might be ok with smaller tetra.
40 or 30 in a 75 is no where near over stocking.
Id pair them with another like tetra. When smaller shoaling fish see other like fish out swimming about it signals to them the absence of predators and they feel safer. My glo light tetra and rummynose used to shoal together.
In the wild dwarf pencil fish are often seen in the same water ways as tetras like neons and dwarf pencil fish tend to occupy a bit more of the top portion of the tank so they wont be competing as much for room with the rummy nose. Black neons are also a goid fit as they tend to occupy the top middle more than the bottom middle.

That's great information! I also always worry about overstocking. Any suggestions on upper-level tetra tank swimmers? I think Rummy Nose are more mid to lower tank correct?

That's great information! I also always worry about overstocking. Any suggestions on upper-level tetra tank swimmers? I think Rummy Nose are more mid to lower tank correct?
Yup rummy are mid lower and like i said they stay in really tight shoals.
If you are wanting exclusive top swimmers than hatchet fish stay at the top the whole time. Marbled hatchets are my favorite looking. one needs a lid for them as they are really good jumpers but if one wants fish with more personality as hatchets barely move id go with dwarf pencil fish, they will occupy top middle and are a fun little shoaling fish that have a lot of personality. They dont form tight shoals like rummy and probably wont shoal with rummy but they will be towards the top.
Then you could fill out the bottom with some corydora so all 3 levels of your tank are occupied and active.

Last edited:
Yup rummy are mid lower and like i said they stay in really tight shoals.
If you are wanting exclusive top swimmers than hatchet fish stay at the top the whole time. Marbled hatchets are my favorite looking one needs a lid for them as they are really good jumpers but if one wants fish with more personality as hatchets barely move id go with dwarf pencil fish, they will occupy top middle and are a fun little shoaling fish that have a lot of petsonality. They dont form tight shoals like rummy and probably wont shoal with rummy but they will be towards the top.
Then you could fill out the bottom with some corydora so all 3 levels of your tank are occupied and active.

Two questions:

1-Would H. Rasboras be a good fit with Rummy Nose...I know they like to swim near the top
2-How many Rummy Nose can I put in my tank at one time tomorrow?

I have a 75 gallon, it's a mature tank.

Two questions:

1-Would H. Rasboras be a good fit with Rummy Nose...I know they like to swim near the top
2-How many Rummy Nose can I put in my tank at one time tomorrow?

I have a 75 gallon, it's a mature tank.

Ive never kept rasbora but theyd be fine with rummy as they share similar water parameters and have similar swimming styles and yes rasbora will be top middle.
Black neons are also top middle.

Ive never kept rasbora but theyd be fine with rummy as they share similar water parameters and have similar swimming styles and yes rasbora will be top middle.
Black neons are also top middle.

Thank you so much! Im glad I know my options.

You should be able to add as many as you want if the tank is cycled there wont be an issue

If you are planning on having say 30 rummy id add 15 one time and 15 more a week later.
Make sure you drip acclimate them, they are really sensitive to ph and gh changes and being moved, but once established are super hardy as long as they have clean soft acidic water.

I have been looking at rummy nose tetra for awhile as my next shoal of tetra and if you get them I think you will be happy. I like the tight shoal they maintain and think they will go nicely with my 14 glow light tetra shoal. Once I get the ember and neon numbers back to where I want them I am thinking I will be adding them (at least 10)

I don't mean to be a snob, but they are a bit bland in terms of personality.

Actually I find that the "slim type of Tetras" such as Neon, Cardinal, Rummynose, Black Neon, Glowlight, are slightly less interesting than the wider bodies Tetras such as Rosy Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, etc..
The wider bodies Tetras are like 3D whereas the slimmer bodies Tetras are like 2D.

I like the Rosy Tetras because of their beautiful fins with white tip.
Anyway, these are individual preferences.

By the way, H.Rasboras and Rummynose are two of the most tightest schooling fish.
They are amazing to watch...

Some videos for your ideas:

Rummynose + H.Rasbora

Rummynose

H.Rasbora

Actually I find that the "slim type of Tetras" such as Neon, Cardinal, Rummynose, Black Neon, Glowlight, are slightly less interesting than the wider bodies Tetras such as Rosy Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, etc..
The wider bodies Tetras are like 3D whereas the slimmer bodies Tetras are like 2D.

I like the Rosy Tetras because of their beautiful fins with white tip.
Anyway, these are individual preferences.

By the way, H.Rasboras and Rummynose are two of the most tightest schooling fish.
They are amazing to watch...

Some videos for your ideas:

Rummynose + H.Rasbora

Rummynose

H.Rasbora

I've seen these videos! Love how Rummy Nose school which is why I want them.

So I was told that Rummy Nose are a bit on the sensitive side when putting them into a new tank. I don't have the tools for a drip acclimation, but was planning on doing the following:

1. Turn off the aquarium lights
2. Place the bag in the aquarium 15-20 mins. to acclimate the fish to water temp.
3. Open bag and pour 1/2 cup of aquarium water every 4-5 mins until bag is full.
4. Empty half of the water in the bag and repeat step 3 until full.
5. Net the fish and place in tank
6. Discard the bag/water.

Thoughts?

I must counter the advice given on Congo Tetra and Rummynose Tetra in this thread. I can't understand what has been posted...there is absolutely nothing wrong with combining these two, in fact it would make an excellent display. The Congo Tetras remain mid-tank--make sure they have floating plants, they do not like bright overhead light and will not only be more colourful with floating plants but they will remain at or slightly above mid-tank. The Rummynose by contrast will remain in the lower half/third of the water column, but these too will be more colourful with floating plants overhead.

Both species are relatively active swimmers. Rummynose will swim more continually whereas Congos tend to have "races" periodically and in between tend to chill out much like rasboras. Neither species is at all aggressive. I have kept and spawned both, several times. Congos need a 4-foot length tank and now that I have had to downsize due to my move last year, I don't have the space. Wish I did, this is a beautiful fish.

With a group of 12 Congo (get roughly half/half male/female) and 21-25 rummynose (no fewer), you have space left for substrate fish (cories, or one of the peaceful and smaller loach species) and the surface area. One of the larger hatchetfish would work here, though all of this is a lot of white/silver but that doesn't matter unless you want to add more variety.

I must counter the advice given on Congo Tetra and Rummynose Tetra in this thread. I can't understand what has been posted...there is absolutely nothing wrong with combining these two, in fact it would make an excellent display. The Congo Tetras remain mid-tank--make sure they have floating plants, they do not like bright overhead light and will not only be more colourful with floating plants but they will remain at or slightly above mid-tank. The Rummynose by contrast will remain in the lower half/third of the water column, but these too will be more colourful with floating plants overhead.

Both species are relatively active swimmers. Rummynose will swim more continually whereas Congos tend to have "races" periodically and in between tend to chill out much like rasboras. Neither species is at all aggressive. I have kept and spawned both, several times. Congos need a 4-foot length tank and now that I have had to downsize due to my move last year, I don't have the space. Wish I did, this is a beautiful fish.

With a group of 12 Congo (get roughly half/half male/female) and 21-25 rummynose (no fewer), you have space left for substrate fish (cories, or one of the peaceful and smaller loach species) and the surface area. One of the larger hatchetfish would work here, though all of this is a lot of white/silver but that doesn't matter unless you want to add more variety.

Thanks @Byron I'm always nervous about fish being bullied and chased since that can cause fish stress that eventually leads to fish death. I'll now reconsider getting both Congos and Rummy Nose.

So I was told that Rummy Nose are a bit on the sensitive side when putting them into a new tank. I don't have the tools for a drip acclimation, but was planning on doing the following:

1. Turn off the aquarium lights
2. Place the bag in the aquarium 15-20 mins. to acclimate the fish to water temp.
3. Open bag and pour 1/2 cup of aquarium water every 4-5 mins until bag is full.
4. Empty half of the water in the bag and repeat step 3 until full.
5. Net the fish and place in tank
6. Discard the bag/water.

Thoughts?

I basically do this, though I leave the tank light on so I can see what I'm doing. Make sure you have a decent cover of floating plants. This solves the light issue when adding the fish and thereafter, as none of these like overhead light.

I add a cup of water each time, and do it usually once or twice, maybe three times (if the bag is large enough). Wait a few minutes after each, and net the fish out at the end.

There is no way this sort of "acclimation" can ever solve any issues for the fish, but it does seem to settle them better than not doing it. Provided the parameters are close. And remember, the water in your tank is almost certain to be of better quality than the store tank water so the fish are going from bad to good in a very real sense and this is always a positive.

And, with a shoaling species, always add the entire intended group together if possible. If you intend 21-25 rummynose (which is minimum here), add all of them together if you can get them together. If not, fine. But shoaling fish will always settle in faster the more there are. Of course, having others already in the tank also achieves this to some extent. This is especially crucial with fish that may develop an hierarchy, which is not really the case with Congos and rummynose, but it is still a good habit to get into.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back