Puget Sound Biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Not the day I was hoping for, but not a total loss. I guess I am one of those "glass is always 3/4 full" kind of people.

I went out only to be greeted by white caps, and even though to some people they were just ankle slappers, not safe to go into rocks looking for marine life as I did not feel like taking a beating just for the fun of it. So, packed it up and returned home to a nice hot cup of tea. Will have to wait two weeks to go out again after my return.

On a fun note, the tank is doing great. Fermat the clam is still maintaining his nightly relocation schedule, and I have found Mr. Bliss, a Lotia pelta (shield limpet) named after our dear J.R.R. Tolkien's character. He was diligently cleaning the back aquarium glass as seen here:
F0hmDytafGBUSKVFlHEj-MejDqkBTreXgwf3OO_9_ugJWcTFTh3E9Vy57qmkycEugAFvouG0CDjy8mc4HpKx7zBHMgZNiv5tDRmct0S1LUc-aZR6kHwGEllK9oxaQzxl2TPyiPDy

You can barely see Fermat's shell to the left:

1615003253947.png 1615002523078.png

Either the snails or the amphipods are doing a lot of garden work. I still do not know who is behind the "mowing". The foreground mound has barely any green left. More barnacles are showing themselves and really like the food I am putting in. They are lots of fun to watch!

YSnlvI_cSLGwkVDs-sfYUA136zzqyOn2raRx-6eAFZE4zqriYdfoIwxjiGFq10fyb50J5XSllfWd4z_-_h7XtrLqWe1Jyyoy4nJCibBFP3P8hZhj0W59ShLub9Aj6s66ccuYH7A8

The amphipods have to be some of the clumsiest and most neurotic creatures I have ever seen. They throw themselves around and scratch and twist, then take off. I wonder what is going on in their little itty bitty brain...

Another beautiful checkered periwinkle:
1615002821862.png

Preschool run:
1615003026143.png

And because I ended up with some extra time, decided to play with making some cool mushrooms with the 3D printer, but I will not be putting anything artificial in the tank. It was just for fun.
1615003172753.png

Definitely a 3/4 full day! :)

It's looking really good! I agree the "preschool" shot is a nice one, though I also liked the look of the tank as a whole.

3D printer, what fun!

It's looking really good! I agree the "preschool" shot is a nice one, though I also liked the look of the tank as a whole.

3D printer, what fun!
Thank you! The little tank is full of surprises considering the size. I am glad I started it. Now fretting over going away for a couple of weeks and making sure they have enough food while I am gone. One of the reasons I have been hoping for more algae on the FW tanks so they have enough to graze on (I know, you do not care for algae ;) ).

The 3D printer is my husband's, but I get to play with it now and then. I am not too fond of computers after spending more than half of my life working with them, but they are convenient. I would've preferred a carved the little mushroom or a clay model, but I must admit, I liked the result. I tend to prefer more organic looking shapes than the mathematically perfect ones I usually encounter.

Last edited:
Now fretting over going away for a couple of weeks and making sure they have enough food while I am gone. One of the reasons I have been hoping for more algae on the FW tanks so they have have enough to graze on (I know, you do not care for algae ;) ).
Increase the lighting times to encourage algae.

Keep feeding the barnacles and other things in the tank until you leave, they will be fine for a couple of weeks without food. Right now they are having fun getting regular food and this will help them build up some fat reserves. The cold water will reduce their metabolism and they won't need as much food so should be fine for 2 weeks without feeding.

If you add a bit of iron based aquarium fertiliser to the tank and increase the temperature a couple of degrees, you might get an algal bloom and the filter feeders can eat that while you are away. However, if you have a big filter on the tank it will probably suck all the plankton out of the water and kill it in the filter.

Increase the lighting times to encourage algae.

Keep feeding the barnacles and other things in the tank until you leave, they will be fine for a couple of weeks without food. Right now they are having fun getting regular food and this will help them build up some fat reserves. The cold water will reduce their metabolism and they won't need as much food so should be fine for 2 weeks without feeding.

If you add a bit of iron based aquarium fertiliser to the tank and increase the temperature a couple of degrees, you might get an algal bloom and the filter feeders can eat that while you are away. However, if you have a big filter on the tank it will probably suck all the plankton out of the water and kill it in the filter.
Thank you, @Colin_T

My plan is to get some new ocean water for a 20% water change and dose the reef snow as well as a bit of plankton. I would like to replace the sea lettuce as well since the snails and amphipods are simply voracious. Everyone else seems to be doing well in there. I have API Leaf Zone which contains iron, so I can add a little bit of that as well. I do not have a big filter, it has sponges which I have been adding BB regularly and creates just enough of a current for the critters to get the food. The intake is very low in the tank, and behind the large piece of algae to the right. I always dose on the left side.

Tomorrow is the big prep day, then I am off. I hope everyone does alright in my absence and I do not come back to a disaster.

On a great and cheerful note, the frogs started last night, the ospreys were flying nice and low today, and the blue herons are now in their nests! Spring is in the air!

I'll report when I get back :)

All done with getting the tanks ready. I hope they do well while I am gone. I noticed a new critter just before leaving and got so excited I may have ended up with a free sea cucumber:
1615263418981.png
Eh, no. Just a sea maggot, Coelopa frigida. It was fun watching him, though.

And Mr. Bliss came to the front of the tank:
1615263602232.png

And Mr. Hobo came to say goodbye with gorgeous markings:
1615263706745.png

Well, the little tank survived my absence. Lost of new amphipods and snails (they both breed like aquatic rabbits), Fermat appeared to have done a couple of rounds, a new limpet (no name yet) and they almost ate the whole sea lettuce. The rock has no more seaweed on it. I am postponing going in the water to get more stuff because it was 35F/2C this morning, and the idea of a nice hot cup of coffee won. They were all happy to get their plankton and snow this morning and the barnacles have been out a lot!

1616018489080.png

I am postponing going in the water to get more stuff because it was 35F/2C this morning, and the idea of a nice hot cup of coffee won.
LOL, you big wimp :)
You're not a dedicated fish keeper if you aren't willing to go in the water when it's 2C. That's why I used to go collecting at night, it was a bit warmer. :)

You can buy algae from some pet shops or Asian supermarkets and put that in the tank for the snails. You can try them on the same things you feed plecos too (cucumber, pumpkin, zucchini, etc). Just don't put too much in, don't leave it there too long, and monitor the ammonia levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back