Puget Sound Biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eatyourpeas

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This initial post is going to be a bit long, since I am compiling steps that have taken place already.

The beginnings of this tank came from collecting local specimens, and right now we have depth of 0' to 10' for the sake of convenience. I use a dry suit to go in the 50F water, no tank, just snorkel. As I progress and learn about salt water aquarium requirements, the project will evolve towards optimal conditions to house Rhamphocottus richardsonii, as well as other life forms form Puget Sound, Washington State.

Day one:
1614366070659.png
Parameters:
Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: 0, Salt water pH: 8.0, temperature: 55F GH: higher than 180 ppm, KH: 120ppm

Inhabitants:
Littorina scutulata and several amphipods and copepods.

Algae:
Sarcodiotheca gaudichaudii, Cladophora columbiana, Prionitis lanceolata, Fucus gardneri, Alaria marginata.

Day two:
1614366595885.png

The tank has been insulated in order to maintain a 55F/12.8C environment. I do not currently have a chiller since I am researching both tank size and equipment, so this is a hack but seems to be working. Temperature has been stable.

Today:
Some housekeeping. It looks like an amphipod molted last night, and a happy barnacle to the right of the molt.
1614366796459.png
1614366846319.png

On my walk to the beach to collect samples a go through a small patch of forest, and there are early signs of spring! Today was low tide.

1614367165378.png 1614367030680.png 1614367076792.png

Last edited:
Also, one of the challenges of having this kind of tank is I will have to collect the marine life myself. Stores do not carry temperate specimens. There will be a lot of going in the ocean in the near future!

Also, one of the challenges of having this kind of tank is I will have to collect the marine life myself. Stores do not carry temperate specimens. There will be a lot of going in the ocean in the near future!
Is that legal where you live?

Yes, you can collect bottom dwelling fish. They probably figure if you are willing to go 100' deep in 46F water, you are crazy enough!
Hey, I would do it. I've never actually been scuba diving before. :/

Do you plan to free dive? Or do you have scuba gear?

I used to own my scuba gear. Did it for many years. Always loved walls, great places for marine life. Loved sharks but you have to go to warm waters for them, and it can get expensive to travel like that.

After the heart attack and strokes I only kept the dry suit, mask, snorkel, fins. I can't risk having an episode in deep water with all that gear. I got about thirty years out of the hobby before having to give it up, so I don't feel cheated. So, I will be free diving it!

Impressive you can hold your breath for that long. I haven’t swam in over 2 years, so my breath holding “skills” are lacking...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back