Puffing In A Cigar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm glad I moved this back into Tropical discussion. This is more about a new event than African cichlids. As you all know, most of the info we read about when looking at a new species is "breeding", "sexing", etc. So, an old mod has to learn new tricks.

It's quite possible that I missed a few days of the fry but certainly not too much. My daughter and I have 'rediscovered' fishkeeping. That is, at the ripe old age of 8, she is now taking an interest in the tank that has been in her house for all this time. She picks the fish. Dad checks the compatibility. I DO admit that I tend to lean towards overstocking.

I read up and all the above is correct re: foods. I have been also adding frozen daphnia and the fry seem to love it. I have to pick up bbs today. I also crush up flake into a powder. Fry seem to love the java moss which is trying to take over my tank.

So far, "Marlee and Foodling" (my daughter's names), are diligently guarding the fry. Great action to watch. They hover over them as they move like a carpet from place to place. As discussed elsewhere, my fish, indeed, are mostly located on the left side of the tank. Kribs on the right. They are aggressively protecting but not attacking from what I can see. I have a piece of overturned bogwood on that side and I think that is now staked out as home and breeding. Overall, you'd laugh, but this is exciting and I find myself, like in the beginning, checking the tank out all the time.

Supposedly, once bred, the kribs will repeat in 2-3 months. YIKES. SH

I'm glad I moved this back into Tropical discussion. This is more about a new event than African cichlids. As you all know, most of the info we read about when looking at a new species is "breeding", "sexing", etc. So, an old mod has to learn new tricks.

It's quite possible that I missed a few days of the fry but certainly not too much. My daughter and I have 'rediscovered' fishkeeping. That is, at the ripe old age of 8, she is now taking an interest in the tank that has been in her house for all this time. She picks the fish. Dad checks the compatibility. I DO admit that I tend to lean towards overstocking.

I read up and all the above is correct re: foods. I have been also adding frozen daphnia and the fry seem to love it. I have to pick up bbs today. I also crush up flake into a powder. Fry seem to love the java moss which is trying to take over my tank.

So far, "Marlee and Foodling" (my daughter's names), are diligently guarding the fry. Great action to watch. They hover over them as they move like a carpet from place to place. As discussed elsewhere, my fish, indeed, are mostly located on the left side of the tank. Kribs on the right. They are aggressively protecting but not attacking from what I can see. I have a piece of overturned bogwood on that side and I think that is now staked out as home and breeding. Overall, you'd laugh, but this is exciting and I find myself, like in the beginning, checking the tank out all the time.

Supposedly, once bred, the kribs will repeat in 2-3 months. YIKES. SH

Good for you! :good: Sometimes it just takes a special event to be reinvigorated with the hobby. For me, it was the purchase of a RO/DI unit which finally allowed me to realize my long term dream to keep SW. Well, you remember! I've been lurking in Marine section, admiring the tanks, for years, I just didn't want to with with just tap. I'd spend hours just staring at the SW part of the LFS and I loved it, but I wasn't going to buy water from them. I wanted to make my own water. Planted tanks were a struggle to do in Miami and ultimately frustrating because of a lack of supplies and quality stock, Marine tanks are a piece of cake.

Yep, this look like "kribs have taken over one half of the tank syndrome" to me! :lol: And yes, expect a second batch of fry soon. :D I'm so jealous, makes me miss my kribs terribly. You can either go live or frozen for the bbs, Petsmart sells them frozen. I'd get lazy and one can't hatch all the time, especially with a busy work schedule. Though it'd be an awesome project for your daughter. More than likely there are critters living in the java moss for them to eat, so don't remove it.

Mine were named George and Gracie. I loved them to bits. I'd try a pair in my planted tank, but it's too small. Your tank is really a much better size.

What's your tank's pH?

L

Don't you just love those surprise babies that you didn't expect? I found fry in my Mbuna tank last night so I can def. understand you joy!! Congrats on the babies!!!

Those adults will do more than simply hold the fry together SH. They will actually compel the fry to stay in distinct locations until well after you think they should be able to swim around on their own. I have seen krib parents still herding fry that were quite large by most standards.

Mine were named George and Gracie.
:hyper: I love that film! :lol:

Hahaha, I get you, Star Trek IV the Voyage home with the whales George and Gracie, but as I said to you earlier, my fish were named after George Burns and Gracie Allen, a pair of comedians who loved each other very much. :wub:

You know what I think this thread is missing? Pictures. A lot more pictures.

We need more baby pictures, SH, and video. We all like video here. :nod:

L

pH is about 7-7.2. When I offloaded the two huge iridescents, the massive water change wiped out almost all my fish. My nitrates had climbed into the hundreds. The iridescent's were destroying the tank and beating the snot out of both themselves and the fish. Now I am running 20-40. My tank pH was plummeting constantly into the low 6's, now stable however I think my tap water pH is higher now than a year ago.

I've restocked my tank now with 'off the beaten path' species. That is, things mostly not available at the LFS: pencilfish, kribs, madagascar rainbows, badis badis. All are compatible and thriving. Totally caught off guard re: the recent spawn of the kribs, but, this is what makes the hobby so interesting.

No baby brine shrimp locally (out of stock). I am feeding daphnia and Tetra's First Bites. The fry are taking it without issue. I dump a cloud over them. SH

Also,I am going to try American Flagfish. SH

Interesting, all the fish you've listed there are incredibly common in the UK trade....except maybe the badis, but I have seen those a couple of times.

pH is about 7-7.2. When I offloaded the two huge iridescents, the massive water change wiped out almost all my fish. My nitrates had climbed into the hundreds. The iridescent's were destroying the tank and beating the snot out of both themselves and the fish. Now I am running 20-40. My tank pH was plummeting constantly into the low 6's, now stable however I think my tap water pH is higher now than a year ago.

I've restocked my tank now with 'off the beaten path' species. That is, things mostly not available at the LFS: pencilfish, kribs, madagascar rainbows, badis badis. All are compatible and thriving. Totally caught off guard re: the recent spawn of the kribs, but, this is what makes the hobby so interesting.

No baby brine shrimp locally (out of stock). I am feeding daphnia and Tetra's First Bites. The fry are taking it without issue. I dump a cloud over them. SH

Also,I am going to try American Flagfish. SH

When the fry grow then, you'll have a male:female ratio that will be pretty evenly distributed with perhaps a slight bias towards males. I had a higher pH and got mostly males. A more acidic pH will result in more females.

Those are a lovely selection of fish. I like badis & always wanted a pair, but females are tough to come by in the hobby. I'm assuming you've a male badis badis?

The daphnia and the first bites should be fine, coupled with the microorganisms in your tank. Sometimes the best events in a tank are the most unexpected.

American Flag fish are a native species to South Florida. :D Your tank is large so you should be able to house more than one male. But usually they are kept 1 male to two females. A sextet would be cool, but if your kribs continue to breed, they'll be confined to one side of the tank. :lol:

I'm considering a cichlid tank next. If I start up another tank, I'll move the kribs out. SH

MTS = multiple tank syndrome. :lol: I'm just teasing you.

Sorry, SH, you gotta setup a SW before you do cichlid tank. You without SW is well... like me without plants! It just don't go...

We need another SH SW über journal thread! :hyper:

Granted if you must move the kribs out, I had a 29g for the job. A 20g long may work too if you're just breeding. Now, an African biotope is also lovely, but it's up to you.

L

Hahaha, I get you, Star Trek IV the Voyage home with the whales George and Gracie, but as I said to you earlier, my fish were named after George Burns and Gracie Allen, a pair of comedians who loved each other very much. :wub:
I know, I know ;)

I agree there should be more pictures :nod:

I agree there should be more pictures :nod:

Absolutely!

So SH, tell that next patient he/she can wait a spell while you snap some pictures of the happy parents and their brood. And video, we'll need video. You got followers on this thread now, you cannot disappoint us.

:D

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back