Puffers In Aquaria

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks for the info there fella!! I realy needed some info about green spotted puffers.

Do Green spotted puffres ever breed in a home aquaria? if yes, then how to condition them?
I'm recently having 3 puffers in one of my 55 gallon tank.... Do I need a bigger tank?

I'm cycling a 15 gallon tank right now. I was thinking about getting 3 or 4 dwarf puffers, but what about irrubesco, lorteti, or green bottle?

Could I fit any of those. I have heard that Irrubescos are pretty calm. Can they be kept with DPs?

I'm cycling a 15 gallon tank right now. I was thinking about getting 3 or 4 dwarf puffers, but what about irrubesco, lorteti, or green bottle?

Could I fit any of those. I have heard that Irrubescos are pretty calm. Can they be kept with DPs?

No, puffers if shoaling should only be kept within a species tank. F8s, South Americn banded and Dwarf peas are the only known true shoaling/schooling puffers. Aggression is veried with each different Irrubescos same goes for personality. Irrubescos are very territorial and are nocturnal which is a bad thing because most dwarf peas are diurnal, so theres a very high chance that the dwarf peas may get hunted down while asleep. In terms of whether lorteti can be mixed, the answer is also no. lorteti are the most aggressive of all the "red eye puffers" and are documented to be very unpredictable and aggressive to other puffers even their own kind. Lortei are also very active hunters throught the day but more so at night.
Im currently cohabing my 2 Figure 8s along with a few mollies and bumble gobies in my 50gallon bowfront, you should consider the bumble bee gobies as they are very interesting fish and max out the same size of dwarf peas. Bumble bee gobies can live in both freshwater and brackish water but they would live longer in a brackish tank. Lorteties and irrubesco also need a minimum of 20-25gallons each, which rules out keeping them in a 15gallon.

Thanks for the info there fella!! I realy needed some info about green spotted puffers.

Do Green spotted puffres ever breed in a home aquaria? if yes, then how to condition them?
I'm recently having 3 puffers in one of my 55 gallon tank.... Do I need a bigger tank?

GSPs are high-end brackish to full marine puffers which need a specific gravity of 0.002 per week aiming towards 0.015. GSPs need their tank temperature to be with 73-80 degrees fahrenheit and live in waters with a PH of 7.0-8.3. GSPs have also been documented to live for atleast 15 years or more if kept in a full marine setup.
There have been cases where owners have bred them but how is still undocumented. GSPs are sexually dimorphic, which plays a big role in why its almost impossible to tell them apart and breed them. A single GSP will grow max out at 6.5" and will acquire 30-35gallons to its self. A 55gallon a a tight squeeze for three GSPs, so I reccomed getting aleast if not a 90gallon a 110gallon. GSPs also need to go full marine when they reach atleast 4". Hoped I helped and best of luck.

Ermm...this thread is two years old!

LOL, my bad. I did not read the date, but it doesnt hurt posting anyway right? Someone might scroll through the topic if they had unanswered questions or something to learn.

What is the minimum size tank for any kind of puffer, except dwarf. Would a 10 gallon be able to house one?Or do I need at least a 15 gallon?

Even if this is an old thread, I'll ask anyways. :)

How many SAP puffers would you suggest for a 55 gallon tank that has two large filters on it? I have lots of tall fake plants to break up the tank, and plan on adding a few rocks and pieces of driftwood soon. The tank is cycling right now, and should be ready soon. Other forums have told me I can keep probably 4-5 in there, but I want to be sure. I will probably put in some barbs first, and some kind of sucker fish or cat fish. :) Great thread by the way!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back