Puffer tankmates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

haddock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of setting up a brackish tank as a home for a figure of 8 or GSP.

What other fish can I keep them with? I would love to have scats, monos and bumblebee gobies?

My tank size is 50G. Does this sound OK or is my tank too small for a project like this?

Any advice appreciated.

50 gallons would be a fine size for a fig 8 and a few BBGs as both can stay at the lower SG (around 1.005).

GSP tend to prefer higher salinity and can (IIRC) be kept in marine conditions once adult. The same can be said of monos and scats though both of these get too large and are too messy for a 50 gallon and I'm not sure on how good GSPs are with tank mates and their fins.

HIH

Andy

You won't be able to keep F8s and GSPs together as GSPs will require a higher salinity than F8s.

Generally GSPs will not tolerate any other tank mates except their own once they've reached maturity. So you could go for two GSPs alone in a 50g tank as they grow to 6".

Figure 8s can be kept with bumblbee gobies or 'freshwater' flounders and I should think you could have up to 4 figure 8s in a 50g as they only grow to 3"

what about a brackish snowflake eel? I would think that a GSP or 8 might leave them alone. (wondering for myself as well)

JJ1234567 said:
what about a brackish snowflake eel?  I would think that a GSP or 8 might leave them alone.  (wondering for myself as well)
[snapback]900931[/snapback]​

I think 50g is too far small for a snowflake moray (Echidna nebulosa) with an adult length of 30 inches.

Snowflake moray is also a common name given to the white spotted morph of Gymnothorax tile and is more likely to be the fish in question, however a 50g tank is still too small for these as they can reach 30" too, not to mention the moray would eat both GSP or F8 puffers, and then die itself.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I guess I am going to have to rethink this.

Am i right in thinking you can get dwarf monos - would they be OK with fig 8s or would the salinity still be an issue?

Dwarf mono? Scientific name? The two commonly seen species of mono will both grow to around 10 inches in height and ideally need a tank of at least 100 gallons, also adults of both species move into marine enviroments when mature so need much stronger salinities than F8 puffers.

For F8 puffers you are really stuck with either a species tank or prehaps a few hardy gobies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back