Puffer Obesity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ingo_1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My GSP has an (almost) insatiable appetite. I try not to over feed him, but it's hard when he's sat at the front the tank with those sad puppy eyes!!

At the moment he is about as wide as he long and am worried that it may be effecting his health... I know GSP's are suppose to have a bit of a belly but is it possible for them to get to fat?

I will try to post some pics later.

My puffers seem to like begging even when they've just eaten! :p

You just have to be strong really, and resist the urge! I strictly only feed mine every other day.

Yes,it would be possibler for them to get fat, try cutting down on food, by changing your feeding times to a set routine and perhaps missing one extra day each week.

I feed my dwarf puffers until they are bulging with fatness, and the next day they are as skinny as ever :p I too feed every other day :D My severum has a habit of getting my attention when he wants it, and that often deters me from puffer feeding :rolleyes:

IMO, a reasonably fat fish is a happy fish, so I wouldn't worry about the puffer unless you suspect something more sinister causing the obesity (Constipation possibly) :)

How long (inches) is your puffer? Does he look like that all the time? If he's too fat it can lead to liver problems.

It was taken a couple of hours after feeding, when he started feeling hungry again and was begging for more food. He looks a little slimmer before feeding but not much. will get another pic before feeding.

He's approx 2" long

Yikes ! :eek: that's one very fat little puffer :lol:

He's not going to be happy!! :crazy:

He goes mental as it is when I feed him, as if he's never been fed!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back