Puffer Id Please :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheHolding

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Picked up this bad boy today as he looked a bit run down and I wanted to save him.

He was in another tank with an already sold friend in a similar state and I didn't want him being left all alone!!

They were both labelled up as figure eights but I'm not so sure!

He looks more like a Ceylon Puffer, what do people think? He's about 3-4 inches at present.

ee970f55.jpg

e1e6cf07.jpg

66bf6318.jpg

It's not a figure-8 puffer. It is indeed one of the "Green Spotted Puffers", most likely Tetraodon fluviatilis but contrary to popular belief the markings aren't 100% reliable and without doing a DNA test you can never really be sure!

Cheers, Neale

dont know but just wanted to say that that puffer looks really nice you just have to love the little things

Thank Neale.

Everything points it to being what you say.

And Gytas, he's lovely, hope his black belly goes soon :)

Not really sure, however looking at your pictures, I have the same heater and they're not designed to be under the water under the level just below the grey top at the top of the glass. Just a warning. :unsure:

Thanks for the warning Chris have had these a year and can't say I have ever had any problems with them fully submerged.

Check out the below link it says they are fully submersible -

http://www.fluvalblog.com/product-spotlight-m-series-heaters-video/

I may lift them though but think they will look awfull :(

Not really sure, however looking at your pictures, I have the same heater and they're not designed to be under the water under the level just below the grey top at the top of the glass. Just a warning. :unsure:
Where did you get that from?! :hey:
No manufactures would ever design a non-underwater aqaurium heater.
If you take it above the water surface, the heater will break :crazy:
Carl

The heater element part should certainly be underwater, as should the thermostat. But the dial at the top can stick out above the waterline if you want.

Cheers, Neale

The poor guy seems to have arrived with fin rot as there is white edging and red sores to his anal and caudal fins.

There even seems to be some swelling on the body around the anal fin :(

not sure how tontret this as I know puffer are sensitive to medicine.

Thoughts?

The poor guy seems to have arrived with fin rot as there is white edging and red sores to his anal and caudal fins.

There even seems to be some swelling on the body around the anal fin :(

not sure how tontret this as I know puffer are sensitive to medicine.

Thoughts?

I had a Ceylon Puffer before but I kept it in full marine conditions. They are hardy to all types of medicine and mine never got ill but they are easily scared though, so be careful scaring them half to death :p

It won't ever be truly identified without DNA sampling, but if you look up "sabahensis" on google you'll find lots of people with similar looking puffers proclaiming all kinds of care needs for them. Enjoy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back