Puffer fish species?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Daltino

Reaction score
I bought this pea puffer that was marked as a dwarf puffer fish at my LPS. I currently have a 10 gallon half moon for it. Soon i came to realize that it looked different from normal pea puffers that i saw online. Could anyone help me figure out what species of puffer it is, and what tank size would be appropriate for it.

Pictures attached below:

15954696893948964761205048139286.jpg
15954696000515813945506503541678.jpg
20200722_215232.jpg

I bought this pea puffer that was marked as a dwarf puffer fish at my LPS. I currently have a 10 gallon half moon for it. Soon i came to realize that it looked different from normal pea puffers that i saw online. Could anyone help me figure out what species of puffer it is, and what tank size would be appropriate for it.

Pictures attached below:

View attachment 110491View attachment 110488View attachment 110490
A good salinity is 1.010 for it, yet juvenile fish can tolerate freshwater. If your going to keep it (which I recommend as they're full of personality) a 20 gallon will be large enough to accommodate one but a 23 gallon would be even better as they get to be around 8cm, shellfish is a must with this fish as the beak grows and regularly needs to be fed shellfish to keep 'trim' back the beak, crab legs, snails will work. A small canister may be needed because of this but may not be necessary just pick up the best deal you can find for a larger filter. Does look like it's in nice condition, you could use the 10g as a grow out and set up the 20g in the meantime, waiting for it to cycle.

A good salinity is 1.010 for it, yet juvenile fish can tolerate freshwater. If your going to keep it (which I recommend as they're full of personality) a 20 gallon will be large enough to accommodate one but a 23 gallon would be even better as they get to be around 8cm, shellfish is a must with this fish as the beak grows and regularly needs to be fed shellfish to keep 'trim' back the beak, crab legs, snails will work. A small canister may be needed because of this but may not be necessary just pick up the best deal you can find for a larger filter. Does look like it's in nice condition, you could use the 10g as a grow out and set up the 20g in the meantime, waiting for it to cycle.
How long do you say in able to keep it in a 10 gallon. I do have a 20 gallon thats currently being occupied by a hamster but ive been contemplating moving it for awhile now so i can use the 20 gallon for fish. Also, ive been feeding the puffer brine shrimp regularly so do you have a reccomendation on what type of filter would be good for the 20 gallon and also what type of snails i should get? Im also having trouble finding aquarium salt so do you have any recommendations for that as well?

How long do you say in able to keep it in a 10 gallon. I do have a 20 gallon thats currently being occupied by a hamster but ive been contemplating moving it for awhile now so i can use the 20 gallon for fish. Also, ive been feeding the puffer brine shrimp regularly so do you have a reccomendation on what type of filter would be good for the 20 gallon and also what type of snails i should get? Im also having trouble finding aquarium salt so do you have any recommendations for that as well?

Firstly, marine salt is what you're looking for and a hydrometer (mixing water sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is). I've seen ramshorns being gobbled up by them and they breed fast enough. A large HOB whatever you prefer, or a canister for that size tank or larger (if you can get a good deal on one). I can't recommend any gear since I'm from NZ and you probably have far more options over there.

I grew one for well over a year along time ago. It made it to 6"? in pure freshwater..until it developed a balance problem. I took it to a vet!..she deflated the swimbladder,I gave it antibiotics..and it still died. THAT was a hard one to take.
Looking back..it probably needed as it grew larger,salt. This was pre internet and everything was books and magazines. PRIMITIVE.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back