Puffer fish ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Womble

Reaction score
Any ideas on the scientific name for this puffer? Around 10cm fully grown, advertised as an emerald puffer. I think it may be a tetradon cutcutia but I think it's too small?

Attachments

• 5586B2EF-6F59-4905-8137-046483698C4E.jpeg
    5586B2EF-6F59-4905-8137-046483698C4E.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 211
  • 2B404923-D1D1-433F-A074-9C78B78DDDFF.jpeg
    2B404923-D1D1-433F-A074-9C78B78DDDFF.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 205
Hard to tell. It’s definitely not an emerald puffer, but it looks to small to be a tetradon cutcutia. @Colin_T, what say you?

Hard to tell. It’s definitely not an emerald puffer, but it looks to small to be a tetradon cutcutia. @Colin_T, what say you?
Yeah it's an odd one, I saw Leiodon cutcutia or "Ocellated pufferfish" which look identical but some websites are saying they are the same as the tetrodon, though the 2 fish look totally different. I'm lost at this point haha

Yeah it's an odd one, I saw Leiodon cutcutia or "Ocellated pufferfish" which look identical but some websites are saying they are the same as the tetrodon, though the 2 fish look totally different. I'm lost at this point haha
Me to. After everything I’ve seen at my LFS and after all of the research I was doing, I couldn’t find anything. Could it maybe be a hybrid? Where did you get him?

They don't hybridise pufferfish.

Tetraodon is the Genus/ scientific name that was used for all puffer fish years ago. They might have been reclassified since then and have a new Genus name.

I got this fish from my local fish shop, though when I questioned the name they were adamant it was an emerald puffer, though clearly it isn't.

That makes a lot more sense in terms of the scientific name, I guess it's most likely a Leiodon cutcutia that hasn't reached the normal size for one reason or another.

Thanks for both of your help!
They don't hybridise pufferfish.

Tetraodon is the Genus/ scientific name that was used for all puffer fish years ago. They might have been reclassified since then and have a new Genus name.

Any ideas on the scientific name for this puffer? Around 10cm fully grown, advertised as an emerald puffer. I think it may be a tetradon cutcutia but I think it's too small?
Leiodon (formerly Tetraodon) cutcutia. 10 cm is normal for a male. Females will get larger, up to 15cm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back