Puffer And Livebearers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maingano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently went to a fish store and my sister (whom I went with) fell in love with a freshwater puffer. I didn't want to buy it without research to see wether or not it can go in any of my tanks (though the seller, whom i trust, said it would do fine in my planted livebearer/tetra tank). But, like the idiot I am, I didn't write down the name or anything and can't for the life of me remember the name of the damn puffer haha
I had a look at different species but none are like the one I saw.

Heres what I know:
It was white
Freshwater
Grows to around 3 inches

He was an expensive little lad which is why I didn't wanna rush and add it to my tank.

If you know the species, can it really live in a planted tank with livebearers and tetras. (100Litres tank btw).

Puffers in general tend to be on the more aggressive side. For this reason, most puffer fish should be housed alone. Except in the case of dwarf puffers. Those prefer a small shoal i think.

So no, I wouldn't add a puffer to a community tank.

It would tear your fish apart...

Puffers in general tend to be on the more aggressive side. For this reason, most puffer fish should be housed alone. Except in the case of dwarf puffers. Those prefer a small shoal i think.

So no, I wouldn't add a puffer to a community tank.
Yeah I thought so though it must be a species of dwarf puffer as it "grows to 3 inches".

Yah their small but vicious lol

Yeah I thought so though it must be a species of dwarf puffer as it "grows to 3 inches".
Nope. Dwarf puffers remain a lot smaller. You can keep dwarf puffers with livebearers but not large finned ones. Or get more sturdy fish as tank mates. Those dwarf puffers also like to nip at fins. But they're good predators for snails. And they also like to nip at leaves.

Nope. Dwarf puffers remain a lot smaller. You can keep dwarf puffers with livebearers but not large finned ones. Or get more sturdy fish as tank mates. Those dwarf puffers also like to nip at fins. But they're good predators for snails. And they also like to nip at leaves.
Hmm. I always thought that they weren't community fish at all.

I see. Regardless, any ideas what puffer it was? I'm downright curious now lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back