FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Edit for accuracy
Stupid new smartphone

I have 2m and 4f in a species only, except possibly a tiny Assassin baby or 2 or 3.

What should I do the males are dancing and everyone has a bloodworm-full belly.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite fish! I have wanted them for so long! Jealous... :wub:

I have 2m and 3f in a species only, except for 2 nerites.
What should I do the males are dancing and everyone has a vloodworm-full belly.
What do you mean "what should I do"?

If the males are showing off to the females, let them. The females produce 1 or 2 eggs (normally 1) per day and the eggs take a couple of weeks to hatch. The snails will probably eat the eggs so remove the snails.

The baby fish will sit just under the surface and can be scooped out with a small plastic container and put into another tank and grown up.

The following link has information on culturing live foods for baby fish.

The fish are not commonly available and are worth breeding. Try to keep them alive and produce as many young fish as you can.

I'm serious, what do I do?
Do I need a breeding box?
Temperature change?
Grindel worms?
Egg mop?

Will the adults eat eggs or babies?

If the males are showing off to the females, let them. The females produce 1 or 2 eggs (normally 1) per day and the eggs take a couple of weeks to hatch. The snails will probably eat the eggs so remove the snails.

The baby fish will sit just under the surface and can be scooped out with a small plastic container and put into another tank and grown up.

The fish are not commonly available and are worth breeding. Try to keep them alive and produce as many young fish as you can.
I edited my post, I have 2m and 4f, and possibly a tiny tiny Assassin snail or 2.

I guess I have just never tried to breed anything before, and really don't know the exact birds and bees of anything except Betta. I did get a lone minnow fry that is growing up fine but I have no idea why just the one showed up, and what did it do before I saw it? I admit I feel a little stupid now that realize I don't know how most fish reproduce. I guess I have read some really complicated and intimidating info online at some point. And my goal has never been to breed. But I can sure tell they are frisky!
Anyway I'll go on and read the posts..thanks

Dear Colin,
There are a kerjillion things one has to do listed in that article!!!
Sincerely,
vanalisa
:)

@Colin_T
Unbelievably, there is a possibility that I have, already in my possession, Infusoria!
What a coup! This might work...
Biggest and first challenge, separation of females for 5 days. Would you suggest a breeding box? Won't they get stressed?
Should I turn off my bubbler? What about the filter output?

Don't bother separating the blue-eyes, they don't need to be separated once they start breeding.

Just leave everything running as it is and leave the adults together. Feed them normally, do regular water changes and just let them do their thing.

Have some fine leaf plants in the tank like Ambulia, Java Moss and Water Sprite. Water Sprite has big leaves but it has long roots with fine hairs and works well. Alternatively you can make a spawning mop out of acrylic yarn.

Leave the adults in the tank and when you see babies swimming under the surface, scoop the babies out and put them in a breeding net or rearing tank and feed them on green water, infusoria or powdered fry food for egg layers. If you can't get that then use a boiled egg yolk.

If the are lots of plants and the adults are well fed, they usually ignore the fry.

Don't bother separating the blue-eyes, they don't need to be separated once they start breeding.

Just leave everything running as it is and leave the adults together. Feed them normally, do regular water changes and just let them do their thing.

Have some fine leaf plants in the tank like Ambulia, Java Moss and Water Sprite. Water Sprite has big leaves but it has long roots with fine hairs and works well. Alternatively you can make a spawning mop out of acrylic yarn.

Leave the adults in the tank and when you see babies swimming under the surface, scoop the babies out and put them in a breeding net or rearing tank and feed them on green water, infusoria or powdered fry food for egg layers. If you can't get that then use a boiled egg yolk.

If the are lots of plants and the adults are well fed, they usually ignore the fry.

Okay, Assassin snails removed
Currently procuring Watersprite and
Hikari Bug Bites- for later transitional food.
Then put up an image of, hopefully infusoria, for ID.

I would love to get a half dozen! Would that be possible?

If you look after them, each female should produce 1 egg per day for the next several months. You could potentially get several hundred fry from them.
FYI, they look great in big groups. :)

If you look after them, each female should produce 1 egg per day for the next several months. You could potentially get several hundred fry from them.
FYI, they look great in big groups. :)
Whaaaat? Okay, wow.
:0
I'm buying frog-bit, too.

Whaaaat? Okay, wow.
:0
I'm buying frog-bit, too.
Looky what I found? 20200409_163859.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online