pseudocrenilabrus nocholsi?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wotfish?

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone else kept these fish, and if so what experiences did you have?

thanks

sue

sorry i am a total dolt when it comes to the computer. maybe should get my head out of a fish bowl and take some classes. the article was three pages long. if you click on pictures you will see three pictures in the file. each picture is a different page.

sorry

:/

maggie

I can't find it either... its because maggie it logs you into your personal account - when we enter our login info it takes us straight to our homepage - not yours!! you could probably just copy/paste the article here :)

i tried sending it to my group account. told youi i am a dolt. will try this again.

Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi

A few years ago while returning to me with the store for some purchases of material aquarist in order to equip the last vat which I had been able to install - discreetly in a recess of the garage of then... I cracked for a pretty small couple of a species which I had never seen. Documentation was then particularly chiche on this species of Cichlidé of Africa. The book of Staeck and Linke, marketed by Tetra provides me at the time some indications on the Pseudocrenilabrus kind . It gathers four species whose three first form complexes: Pseudocrenilabrus philander, Pseudocrenilabrus ventralis , Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor (known for a long time) and our Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi .

This small cichlidé lives in the marshy places of the Basin of Zaire. The male reaches only 7 to 8 cm and the female still remains smaller but this fish is coloured much more than his/her cousin famous Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor (in the past Haplochromis multicolor ).

To describe it quickly (Look at the photographs it is better!):

The dress of the male is light blue and punctuated of small red spots laid out on four horizontal lines. The head and the covers of yellow color are gilded, a black feature connecting the top of the face to the back part of the mouth crosses the eye (this melanic mark appearing or not according to mood).

The black eye, rather large, is ringed of a gilded disc while the lips are blue.

The fins caudal and anal are bluish and punctuated of red. The dorsal is slightly frayed and bordered of black.

The pelvic ones black and are bordered of a bluish edging.

Obviously the colouring of the male still intensifies with the approach of the abrasion and during this one.

The females are dull, a black horizontal band crosses the medium of the body and some dark spots are present in the higher part of the dress. Some bluish reflections appear at the base of the dorsal fin.

It is cichlidés not to place in company of Mbunas in a vat of dimensions habituelles.J' made of it the sad experiment a few years ago: the beautiful couple about which I spoke higher was placed inopportunely in company of "Pseudos" varied in a vat of 1 meter 20 of frontage, quickly they went to be dissimulated and I do not revive them any more... I found their corpses a few days after... In fact they did not have a temperament which made them ready to face the attacks of the majority of Mbunas. Later, I have a bitter smile while reading in "the large book of Cichlidés" of AD Konings which "one should never keep them with cichlidés (...) like the mbuna".

In fact the optimal conditions consist in placing a trio in an overall vat with cichlidés fluviatile ( Steatocranus casuarius, Pelvicachromis taeniatus, Anomalochromis thomasi ...) and even possibly in company of fish of other families (Characidae African for example).

This species also respects the plantation if you like the plants you do not obstruct!

The temperature will be around 25°c and the changes of water will be regular, on the other hand taking into account its biotope filtration will not be surpuissante.

The reproduction is regular out of Community vat. The male is in permanent sexual activity and continues the females assidument. Those find shelters among the plants or in the rocks of the vat.

Following the parades of the male, the females are attracted in basins where the eggs are laid with same sand. They are then taken stops some by the female and fertilized by the male.

The female in incubation hides in quiet zones of the aquarium and is more or less ignored by the male. Then it is to better insulate the female in a small vat. To note it S does not feed and loses much.

The alevins carry out their first exit after 15 days of incubation, they measure a few mm (really minscules and transparencies) and continue to find refuge in the maternal oral cavity during several days

Gavés of nauplii of artémias and microvers, then of food for adults gauged with their mouth, they grow rather quickly.

This species does not require an immense vat and is of easy maintenance (if one avoids joint tenants too much stirring up!).

that is the whole article minus the picture.

hth

maggie

:D many thanks for the article, was very helpful.

sue

O, no, I see the essay style is rubbing off.
Danny

Very good article on them you found Maggie. Nice fish though I never kept them. I have heard though that they are fairly aggressive as with most cichlids anyways so nothing really changes there I guess. Thats all for my 1/2 cent.
Danny

Maggie stole my job....... LOLOLOL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back