Pruning

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Great guide, thanks! :)

I have a question regarding the pruning of my Rotala Indica. The guide says to cut off the bottom of the plant, including those bottom roots, and replant it (I believe this, sounds correct for stem plants). However it then claims:
If you want your stem plants to branch out and fill a larger area then snip off the very top section and new growth will be diverted to side shoots further down the main stem. This is useful when propagating Ludwigia etc..
I want mine to branch out some and provide better shade for my tetras. Should I mix the two methods, pruning the bottom but also some of the tops? Any help would be much appreciated!

just prune the tops to make it bush out,

pruning the bottom makes it grow taller, but i doubt doing both would make it grow both ways? Never treied TBH.

Thank you, Aaron. I suppose I'll have to decide which route I want to go, as I think the plant looks better when just straight up, but is more helpful to the fish when providing the shade that they like. Most likely I will trim the tops then and let it grow outwards.

Nice article, very useful for a noob like me.
What would you consider a decent pair of scissors?

Loved the detailed explanation on each type of plant. Just got some ludgwigia so your detail on pruning them was helpful. Thanks. :)

Great guide. When attempting to grow a glosso carpet, is it nescescary to keep trimming it so that it thickens?

Yes, this will encourage side shoots and it will grow much lower and densely.

IWith Stem plants at the background I don't uproot them. I trim the stem and plant at the beginning. Once it reaches 2/3ds height I am aiming for I cut it back to one third and replant the top, And keep repeating until I get a bushy look (or mess as my wife calls it)

I also tend to plant 5 stems as one then a few cm away another 5 stems as one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back