The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loraxchick

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
hi,
i just bought a few bunches of valis and there are some brown tips to some of the leaves. do i remove the dead bits off the end or the whole leaf? when it grows too tall, how do you prune? do you trim it to length or just remove the entire long leaf and the smaller ones will grow (you know, to propagate new growth?). just wondering.
thanks

some people cut through the leaf, and find it dies, my tip would be to use sharp scissors, and if possible, aquascaping scissors which are specifically designed for the job.

will try that. but what i i removed the whole leaf from the base? would that promote new growth? just a thought.
cheers

will try that. but what i i removed the whole leaf from the base? would that promote new growth? just a thought.
cheers

You could cut the leave from the base, but I wouldn't just tug it off. You can risk damaging the crown of the plant, which is where most of the growth occurs, right above the roots. It's already pretty fragile. Like aaronnorth says, get sharp scissors. I find good quality metal sewing scissors works very well, as do those used to cut hair because the blades are finer. As long as they are sharp.

most people say to cut it at the base but i just trim mine at the surface and they do fine.

well i tried a little from coloumn a and colomn b. i have sharp hair cutting scissors (funny you mentioned them AFTER i used them) and gut the brown bits off the top. the leaves that were not doing so hot along the who length, i removed them entirely. these are plants i just got in so i want them to be as healthy as possible.
and i know vallis grows like mad. my turtle is HAPPY to dispatch of any and all leaves that i need to prune.
thanks for all the tips! jungle-tank is looking good!

My Vallis has a lot of these brown rotty bits too (someone has said its due to me using Easy-Carbo) so i'll chop them all off tonight. If i can reach the base then i'll go low, else i will just get as much as poss.

Hadn't thought to use sewing scissors, the wife must have some laying about i think i'll "borrow" them tonight :shifty:

Hadn't thought to use sewing scissors, the wife must have some laying about i think i'll "borrow" them tonight :shifty:

I, however, will not assume responsibility for the angry wife when she finds out she's been using sewing shears that have seen the bowels of a tank.

I purchased my own pair of shears to not upset my mother.

I, however, will not assume responsibility for the angry wife when she finds out she's been using sewing shears that have seen the bowels of a tank.

I purchased my own pair of shears to not upset my mother.

This evenings covert operation "Vallis Snip" was a sucess. I even trimmed the other shabby looking leaves around the tank. I won't tell if you don't! I will post a picture of the flower that broke the surface today too. It's my first aquatic bloom - very happy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back