Pros And Cons Of A Pico Tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cossie1111

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I was reading up on pico tanks and I would like to know the pros and cons of a pico setup..

Also I have some questions:

1. What fish would go in a pico?

2. What type of lighting? Any particular spectrum necessary?

Pros:
Small size making water changes easier
Price is cheaper

Cons:
More frequent water changes
More frequent top offs
Higher chance of whole system crash
Very limited stocking options

1. Not too many options here for fish. Pico is a pretty large range for marines, what size were you wanting?

2. In a fish only with live rock(fowlr) tank, lighting isnt too essential. If you want corals, read up on their care and lighting requirements and start from there.

Personally speaking, picos aren't something recommended for beginners on the salty side. It can be done however, as long as you are adament about maintenance such as RO top offs and weekly water changes.

Thats like 3g US. Don't believe it would be suitable for fish. You might be able to get away with some inverts and possibly some zoanthid coral. I wouldn't recommend something so small though. Have you done marine before? I must say, when considering marine, smaller is definately tempting due to being a lot cheaper but your chances of something going wrong are far greater. Bigger is better. At 3g you would need very frequent top offs to keep the sg in check.

Have a read here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/378870-lljs-4g-a-little-patch-of-sun/page__pid__3233213__st__20#entry3233213

Its the only journal I can think of near that size.

Thanks for your help grayscale!

I havent done marine before, I only have a FW tank.

If I do go along with this ill just put inverts then, maybe one tiny fish.

To add to Grayscale's great input. The pico he linked to, mine (very flattered by the way :blush: ), is an extremely difficult system to do. It's a nonphotosynthetic tank, which means that the showcase corals need daily+ feedings. This takes a HUGE toll on water quality. I do multiple water changes a week to ensure that the corals have clean water quality and yet also must maintain heavy feedings. I've got a busy work schedule. There are days where I'm doing a water change at midnight. I can't say "oh let me do the water change tomorrow" in this tank or "let me skip a feeding". No margin for error.

A lot of the smaller fish for picos are also difficult to care for and require special types of food. I've got live cultures in that tank to keep a continuous supply of food.

IMO, unless you've got a lot of FW experience, specifically with FW picos, which I happen to have, I don't recommend a pico for a first SW tank. You have to be on top of maintenance like nobody's business. Compared to that 4g, my 8g and 36g are practically snooze fests with regard to maintenance.

Besides so much nicer to setup a 30g or so. Or a 40g breeder. I love those tanks. Great size, but not so huge that the water changes become a hassle. In this hobby, I have found that if it becomes a hassle, you'll not want to do it and then the tank suffers. Right now, I don't consider my maintenance regimen a hassle, so I'm up for the extra work. If this isn't you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, then don't do a pico. Picos don't usually last more than 4-6 months because they're hard and people can't keep up with the maintenance.

L

Although picos are a challenge and, when well done, attractive, it's just so much more fun to aquascape and stock. My eyes always get so big in the marine section of the LFS. SH

I had a 3 gallon marine for abit and although fun I prefer a system that you can actually stock with other stuff than shrimp and corals ( even then the corals are limited)

So I'd o with a larger system also :good:

I would also echo the above.

A larger tank is much more forgiving while you are learning - a small pollution problem in a large volume of water is just that - a small problem. In a small volume of water that problem becomes much bigger.

Find your feet with one of the larger nanos and then get a pico at a later date.

if you have the tank and you want to go for it then go for it! really not as hard work as it is often made out to sound!
tank
powerhead (korolia nano is great)
live rock (works as your bio filter)
HOB filter (use with floss in for clearer water)
Lighting
Heater

I have a two month old 6 gallon jbj nano cube with just frogspaw, button,and Xenia coral and they are doing great... I only have one snail for cleaning crew...any suggestions

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back