Proposed USA regulations ending fish keeping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Its messing up their genetics. Their not naturally like that. Ive heard people say it can be related to animal cruelty which is why I will never have them and buy them just so they make more
How are the genetics 'messed up'? We've been messing with genetics of flora and fauna for thousands of years. I know that is 'whataboutism', but should we not selectively breed other species, including fish? What is the ethical difference from gene modification versus targeted selection of certain characteristics when breeding? Both are 'unnatural'.

How are the genetics 'messed up'? We've been messing with genetics of flora and fauna for thousands of years. I know that is 'whataboutism', but should we not selectively breed other species, including fish? What is the ethical difference from gene modification versus targeted selection of certain characteristics when breeding? Both are 'unnatural'.
The difference is ones a plant and ones a living creature and that living creature can ruin natural habitats

They are not meant to be like that.
I dont mind selectively breeding fish to get nice coloring like how people do with guppies but glofish come with a lot of health risks and they are mass produced making them even more prone to disease.
It is animal abuse to give them unhealthy traits just for coloration and if they got into the wild (like they already have) they could very well invade and breed with other fish causing and unhealthy ecosystem

The difference is ones a plant and ones a living creature and that living creature can ruin natural habitats
Have you ever heard of Kudzu? And it's not even modified.

That being said, look at dogs, cats, cattle, chickens, the list of selectively bred species is quite numerous.
Most of our food is genetically modified through selective breeding. That horse left the barn tens of thousands of years ago.

So basically you are perfectly fine with the abuse of genetically modified animals... Cool, I guess everyone has their own opinions :confused:

In what way could they threaten them
I don't know the jist of it but
Have you ever heard of Kudzu? And it's not even modified.

That being said, look at dogs, cats, cattle, chickens, the list of selectively bred species is quite numerous.
Most of our food is genetically modified through selective breeding. That horse left the barn tens of thousands of years ago.
Selective breeding is not the same as genetic engineering. The fish are made with those colours. You will not find coral or jellyfish DNA in nature fish. Live animals are not the same as food.

They are not meant to be like that.
I dont mind selectively breeding fish to get nice coloring like how people do with guppies but glofish come with a lot of health risks and they are mass produced making them even more prone to disease.
It is animal abuse to give them unhealthy traits just for coloration and if they got into the wild (like they already have) they could very well invade and breed with other fish causing and unhealthy ecosystem
This is speculation and not science.
What health risks in Glofish?
Glofish are not mass produced, and many many species are bred in large numbers.
Why is coloration abuse? Is it abuse to raise Albino Corys? As I recall, these are all farm raised and not wild caught.

So basically you are perfectly fine with the abuse of genetically modified animals
What abuse? You claim abuse, yet provide no evidence of such. Additionally your assertion against me is a Strawman argument (logical fallacy)

This is speculation and not science.
What health risks in Glofish?
Glofish are not mass produced, and many many species are bred in large numbers.
Why is coloration abuse? Is it abuse to raise Albino Corys? As I recall, these are all farm raised and not wild caught.
No it is not abuse to raise albino Cory since that is naturally in there DNA and can happen naturally in the wild but they will be eaten since they stand out. jellyfish DNA is not natural in there DNA. Also think about if glo fish in the wild something will eat them and could become ill. Do a Google search please

This argument is not even relevant, I'm sorry. Domestic animals are not fish. We humans are doing a good job of eradicating species, and it would say more for humanity if we worried more about that and did not go around messing with genetics in fish which can have absolutely no benefit to anyone. This is not scientific research to better things, as are some of the experiments with zebra danios; it is nothing but satisfying the whims of people who frankly should not be in the hobby. The initial thrust of this thread was to point out the possible demise of this hobby, and this issue of Glofish is one of the issues that gives these folks ammunition to bring this about. This modified atrocity has for years been banned in the UK and EU, and that at least is sensible.

No it is not abuse to raise albino Cory since that is naturally in there DNA and can happen naturally in the wild but they will be eaten since they stand out. jellyfish DNA is not natural in there DNA. Also think about if glo fish in the wild something will eat them and could become ill. Do a Google search please
Could become ill? How and what?
You made the claim, provide evidence?
Saying search Google is not evidence. The claimant need to provide evidence, or to cite that evidence.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back