Proposed USA regulations ending fish keeping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Think it would be less than a dollar each? Or more?
No way! These guys have a price anywhere between $7-$30! My lps sells them for $20 (rounding up with tax and stuff).

When I say my "fry" I mean when they get to a sellable age. I would never sell them this young! Too risky

Did it pass? I hadn't heard. Well, I for one was against this law (for other reasons besides fish keeping). I didn't like the fish provision either, though I understand and appreciate the intent behind it. But honestly, for most of us, I don't think it will make a huge difference. My understanding is that it makes it illegal by default to import a fish that isn't on the list of approved imports.

The good thing is that the approved list can be added to. The hundreds of commonly kept species will probably start out on the list to begin with. How this law plays out in the real world will depend largely on how difficult it is to get new species added to the list, which remains to be seen. Newer and lesser known species will have to be added, and I'm sure our fish import companies will be on that like crazy once the details of how to do it get sorted out.

Fish importing generates tax revinue, and fish keepers are good tax payers just like everybody else, so I bet that once the kinks get ironed out it won't be that bad. My guess is that those of us who like to keep unusual, wild-caught species are in for some inconvenience, reduced choices, and increased prices. The rest of us probably won't notice any difference whatsoever. I strongly doubt that this legislation will end fish keeping.

Last edited:
Well, I for one was against this law (for other reasons besides fish keeping). I didn't like the fish provision either, though I understand and appreciate the intent behind it. But honestly, for most of us, I don't think it will make a huge difference. My understanding is that it makes it illegal by default to import a fish that isn't on the list of approved imports.

The good thing is that the approved list can be added to. (again, this is my understanding; I might not be entirely up to date) The hundreds of commonly kept species will probably start out on the list to begin with. Newer and lesser known species will have to be added, and I'm sure our fish import companies will be on that like crazy once the details of how to do it get sorted out. I'd say those of us who like to keep unusual, wild-caught species are in for some inconvenience and increased prices. The rest of us probably won't notice any difference whatsoever. I strongly doubt that this legislation will end fish keeping.
I better still have my gudgeons :sly:

This does seem outrageous. Banning fish keeping that is a step to far. I do think having a licence for saltwater should be put In place so only people that have been in the hoby can keep the fish but this is outrageous. I do feel quite sorry for you Americans. Maybe at least glo fish will end and there stupid rules and regulations.

They can keep their hands off my Glofish!
I dont mind glofish but the rules and regulations about being unable to sell them or breed them seems ludicrous. Also Image a red tail glo catfish or a glo ghost knight fish now does that seem stupid or what. Glo fish are fine as long as they stay with the fish they have not other fish. You know glo fish were not originally designed to be sold they were ment to glow in polluted water

Last edited:
That's capitalism for you . I have a better idea.
image.jpeg

You know glo fish were not originally designed to be sold they were ment to glow in polluted water
Yes. Inventions and innovations are often used for something other than the intended purpose.

e.g. Post-it notes, silly putty

Its messing up their genetics. Their not naturally like that. Ive heard people say it can be related to animal cruelty which is why I will never have them and buy them just so they make more

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back