Proposed USA regulations ending fish keeping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I got a letter from one of my senators today saying she voted against the original version of this bill last June and will vote against it again. She said she agrees with the overall purpose of the bill, but she is against some of the many amendments, including the fish one. So, one vote down!

T

I am copying what is (presumably) the latst info on this issue, this is a letter from Amazonias periodical.

LACEY ACT 911: A Letter from the Publishers

We believe aquarists are drawn to the aquarium hobby for many reasons, including reconnecting with nature, the act of creation, and an escape from the noise of the world around us. Unfortunately for aquarists in the U.S., proposed legislation could end aquarium keeping as we know it.

So, as we head into the latest AMAZONAS Newsletter, we ask for your patience as we continue to cover this troubling news. We ask that you avoid clicking that "unsubscribe" link, too, because we will get back to more enjoyable topics! Right now, this is the news, and it should be reported.

While credible sources believe there is little chance of the proposed Lacey Act legislation being signed into law, aquarists should not be complacent or indifferent. For all the times that legislation like this has failed to pass in the House, this time it did. As marine aquarium fishermen in Hawaii learned first-hand, despite years of successfully preventing the closure of their fishery with supportive data and state agency backing, the anti-aquarium activists needed to win only once, and by closing the fishery, everything changed. Experts suggest that these Lacey Act proposals are just the latest in a steady stream of wake-up calls that the aquarium trade and industry cannot ignore.

Current status: The America COMPETES Act (H.R. 4521) and U.S. Innovation and Competition Act (S1260) will be reconciled (merged) in committee. The merged bill will likely have a new name (promoting a “Make It In America” moniker). As of 02/28/2022, H.R. 4521 was read the second time in the Senate and placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 282. The formal Senate/House conference should begin in March.

There are a few ways that you can advocate for the aquatic pastime we all enjoy:
Clearly, this won't be the last word on the subject, and it's far from the only threat to aquarium keeping around the globe. Even if the Lacey Act legislation fails, we ask all AMAZONAS readers not to shrug it off. While Dr. Andrew Rhyne is more familiar to marine aquarists, the insights that Dr. Rhyne provides below are of value to everyone who stands to lose should aquarium keeping be crippled or ended in the U.S.

If you made it this far, at least there's one treat at the end of this email. Scroll down and get a first look at the cover of the May/June issue, STELLAR STARGAZERS!

- Matt Pedersen and Stephan M Tanner, Ph.D., AMAZONAS Magazine Publishers and Editors

I wrote both our senators, only got a standard blah blah blah reply. I didn't vote for either of them, so that probably didn't help.

This proposed legislation is as serious as a heart attack. It does not matter if you are politically minded or not. This WILL affect you and your hobby if it goes through as proposed. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY , must sit down and write a heartfelt letter to your Congressmen and Senators about this. Better yet deliver your letter to their local office in person. Almost every town has one. Barring that, sell your tanks and take up stamp collecting.

I would also like to add that they may ban Cory Catfish because they have a tiny amount of venom in their spines. They are classified as ‘dangerous’ animals.
The thing that makes this even more stupid is that it's not even like a poison venom it's a pain venom so if you're sensitive to it'll make your hand swell up And be painful for a few days but it's not that bad if you are allergic to cory venom to a point where it could actually pose a danger to you and you know you are, you shouldn't keep corys

better get those school fish before its too late ;-)
Lol... Yah....
I wonder how much my fry would sell for after?? 😏

I plan on getting those fish after I sell off the fry in the 10g.
Their getting older and will soon be ready to sell!
Super slow growers though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back