Properly sealing ribbed hose?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stratnoob

Reaction score
Hi,
I had just setup tank with cabinet, with the bottom outlet. Using this https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/product/undertank-connection-kit-for-f-series-aquariums__trashed/ to connect FX6. However the pipe supplied with FX has the nice rubber ends to be used only on the filter with hose clips. But not on the tank inlets. So I had just put some teflon tape on the tank connectors, force slid the pipe on and secured with the hose clip... Was ok, but now after some fiddling with the pipes it started leaking slightly.
IMG_20220109_164748.jpg

So what would be the best way to secure it? Joining compound instead of teflon tape? Potentially I got some rubber hose I could use as replacement of the ribbed Fluval one but if feels kind of stiff.

thanks

Teflon tape is for threaded connections.

If the tank outlets are ribbed (as appears in the link), what you want is pliable hose (e.g. rubber, vinyl)) with a hose clamp. I would try that.

go buy some normal hose and send an email to the company that made the filter and tell them their ribbed hoses are crap

go buy some normal hose and send an email to the company that made the filter and tell them their ribbed hoses are crap
I think Fluval would disagree, but yeah, those hoses are awful.:)
Teflon tape is for threaded connections.

If the tank outlets are ribbed (as appears in the link), what you want is pliable hose (e.g. rubber, vinyl)) with a hose clamp. I would try that.

I've fitted rubber hoses instead, I had soaked them in warm water so it was simple to bend (FX6 uses 1"). Looks much neater then the ribbed ones, and will probably lasts longer anyway. Thanks for confirming what I though I will do.

Most reactions

Back