Proper Behavior For Peppered Or Spotted Corydora

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LunaBug

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I recently began stocking fish into my new aquarium to try and keep the bacteria alive and decided on some corys to be the first addition. After 48 hrs in the tank the two "peppered" corys started to really show differing behavior specifically when I fed them. It seems that while one has continued to act as they both did at the LFS (swimming leisurely around the bottom of the tank) the other has taken to playing in the filter output and sitting itself on top of the ornamental buddha. I sprinkle a pinch of flake in to let sink and the "normal" acting one goes about its business eating as it trolls the substrate. The really active one has figured out that the flake dust that didn't sink pools at the grate of the intake and will position himself there to hoover it all up like a little vacuum before swimming laps around buddhas head. Is this a normal behavior? According to the water test kit the water itself is at safe levels, so I am unsure why the one is being so active and avoiding the bottom of the tank.

I am sure that someone will give you a more logical answer than me as I am new to fish keeping, but perhaps you have a rather intelligent and quirky little Cory?  I think if there were more worrying symtoms he was displaying then I would be concerned, but perhaps he likes the buddha's head, and just knows where best to position himself for where the food is???
Dunno.gif

I'm still quite new to this but it just sounds like he's a silly cory. Mine go all over the place in the tank, some rest on the dragons belly. It's cute.

I'm not sure if the flake food is enough for them or not, have you considered picking up shrimp pellets?

How did you cycle the tank? What size is it? What kind of test kit are you using, as it sounds like you're using strips, which are not very accurate. If it's not strips, what are the exact water parameters?

That is actually normal cory behavior. They play with the filter outlet and love to play :D

Corys need a high protein diet, you need a good quality catfish pellet plus foods like bloodworm, daphnia etc they should also be kept in groups of 5+
As above, how big is the tank, was it cycled & what other fish are in it?

It was cycled and all the water tests are sitting at 0. I dont know the PH because it wasn't including in the testing kit I got. The tank itself is a Aqueon Evolve 8, so it's roughly 6.5 gallons. I've modified the filter slightly because Im not a fan of the "bio-holster". Instead I removed the holster, which helped reduce the rattling noise, and added some of the Fluval ceramic bio media. Right now just the Cory's are in the tank, as I am going to add a Betta within the next week or so. The tank temp stays around 76 and goes no lower than 74 at night.

As for feeding, I am alternating between some tropical flakes and Hikari sinking wafers. I was worried mostly because I have never owned Cory's before, previous tanks have always had either a large catfish or pleco as its bottom feeder, the worker at the LFS told me the fish would be really laid back and mostly inactive. After more reading Im starting to think he was just feeding me a line.

Neither of these corys are suitable for that size tank, actually not sure if even the smallest would be, hopefully someone else can say on that.
As has been said they need to be kept in groups.

You're going to want the temp a bit higher than that when youget your betta, they need 78-82.

Sorry to say but 6 gallons isn't big enough for corys, peppers can get to nearly 3 inches so need much more space, keeping them in too small a tank will stunt their growth
If I were you I'd rehome the corys & just have the Betta & maybe some snails

Right now I have a heater on stand-by but have been told that where the tank sits currently, temperature wise, that the Corys should be more than comfortable. As for the tank size being an issue, we have a 20 gallon as well that is the backup plan should the betta be opposed to tank mates. I'm still not sure what type of corys these are since the shop called them spotted/peppered. 

I would put the corys in the 20 gallon now, they can't stay in the small tank it will stunt their growth & shorten their lives, they should live 15+ years given the right conditions

The LFS kept their cory tanks set at 75 degrees, so mine being at 76 shouldn't be too big of a difference. The 20gallon is currently recovering from being treated for ick that came in on a walmart fish (funny how even the fish of walmart are questionable in nature) so I'm a bit wary of adding them in just yet. A pictus catfish thats about 4" shouldn't bother them when I add them in right? 

ADD: Upon further googling my corys are in fact the peppered variety, or at least look exactly like those that are.

Peppers prefer it a bit cooler as would the pictus & they need to be kept in groups & also need a bigger tank

Sadly, there isn't much of a way for me to get the tanks cooler. Here in TX we still are having 90degree days. That 76 is actually the ambient water temperature with no heating plugged in.

Whcich peppered cories? There are there are two species sold as pepper corydoras mainly corydoras Habrosus and Corydoras paleatus. The C. habrosus is the small or dwarf species. A group of 5 would be good in a 6.5 gallon. Just identify which peppered cory it is and youll be fine

Lillefishy said:
I would put the corys in the 20 gallon now, they can't stay in the small tank it will stunt their growth & shorten their lives, they should live 15+ years given the right conditions

Lillefishy I know you care for the fish but many cories can live in 10 gallons or less. I wouldnt see how Corydoras habrosus(if it is that species of peppered) would be harmed. The corydoras pygmaeus can also live in a 6 along with the habrosus

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back