Progress question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch0le

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I've been cycling my 10 gallon for 8 days. I seeded my tank from my 20 gallon and used ammonium chloride. My PH is currently 8.2, ammonia is 1.0 ppm, nitrites are at .25 ppm, and nitrates were 5.0 last night, but seem slightly less today. I am using api so I can't read anything in between 0 and 5. I read the article about cycling. I'm just a little confused about if I should be adding more ammonium chloride yet.

If you have an established tank you don't need to cycle another tank. You simply take half the established filter material from one filter and put it in the new filter. Instant cycled tank.

I did take some of the media out of my hob and put it in my new tank near the sponge filter. Should I do a big water change?

Just put the established sponge in the new filter so it's in contact with some of the new media. Then drain and refill the tank with dechlorinated water. Check ammonia levels 24 hours later and add fish if there's no ammonia or nitrite.

Alternatively, leave the tank until the ammonia and nitrite are on 0, do a water change and add fish.

There was no need to add the ammonia with established media. Just for future note.

Haha. Ok. Ugh. So much to learn. Will the tank remain cycled if will be another week before I get fish?

Haha. Ok. Ugh. So much to learn. Will the tank remain cycled if will be another week before I get fish?
The bacteria doesn’t starve as quickly as people think. Drop in a pellet of fish food a couple times during the week that will keep it going. If ammonia rises the fish the rotten food out. One pellet should be fine though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back