Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0

Day 5
Added a little ammonia to bring it up to 3.0
Ammonia-3.0
Nitraite-0
Nitrite-0

Is this normal so far? :dunno:

Throw a frozen prawn in the tank, that will speed it up.

Wilder said:
Throw a frozen prawn in the tank, that will speed it up.
Frozen prawn? What is that? :fun:

I raised the ammonia to 6.0 and now the nitrite is 1.0. Whipee! This is fun. :rolleyes:

EDIT: It is like a shrimp? I don't know if my store sells those. Never seen them...yet I never took the time to look for them either.

Hi, I am fishless cycling a 22 gal tank and I find it a bit of a maze. I have read all the pinned and non pinned articles and still find it confusing. I am on day 8 and although I add 44 drops ammonia it vanishes very quickly. My NitrItes have been at 2 and at times a questionable 5 for the last 5 days and even that can drop as low as 0.5 at the end of the day, only to rise to 2 by the morning. I add the ammonia in the morning after testing and average is 0.25 or lower for ammonia with a NO2 of 2ppm. But later in the day it can be Ammonia 1 and NO2 of 0.5 again. I find it very confusing but I am still adding the ammonia at the same level as I did to get it up to 4ppm. My NO3 has dropped from 40 to 5, then up to 10 and is now 5 again. I must asmit that all those shades of reds and pinks are sometimes difficult to tell apart. Still I'm sure that it will all go right in the end.

Best of luck with a quick cycle. :D

I agree. My shades for ammonia are supposed to be yellow to green and I got this REALLY dark greenish blue. I figured I added too much ammonia and it was off the charts. :lol: It is quite confusing. I am just going to keep addimg ammonia everday for a week then test it at the end of the week.

A good method is to add your ammonia till you reach 4.00 and then wait until it disappears. Do not add any more ammonia. You run the risk of adding too much ammonia and killing any plants...I know from experience!

I was impatient too and kept adding ammonia and getting no nitrite reading. At present I have not added ammonia for two weeks and my nitrite is sky high and ammonia is dropping.

As you can probably guess, I added way too much ammonia. A little tip...if your water smells of a gents toilet, stop adding ammonia.

A prawn is the british word for shrip by the way!

happyadd said:
A good method is to add your ammonia till you reach 4.00 and then wait until it disappears. Do not add any more ammonia. You run the risk of adding too much ammonia and killing any plants...I know from experience!

I was impatient too and kept adding ammonia and getting no nitrite reading. At present I have not added ammonia for two weeks and my nitrite is sky high and ammonia is dropping.

As you can probably guess, I added way too much ammonia. A little tip...if your water smells of a gents toilet, stop adding ammonia.

A prawn is the british word for shrip by the way!
Learn something new everyday! :p My dad will think I am crazy if I drop a shrimp in there! I already have a sock filled with gravel from my cycled 29 gallon and he walks by my tank and says, "Gettin' anymore sockfish? Are you going to breed them to have some sock babies because we need more socks around here."

:lol:

No my water doesn't smell of a gents toilet. Smells like water. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back