Problem With Sterbai Cory Feelers/nose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishLover66

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my third and final post for the day. I've mentioned this problem before with another Sterbai cory I had several months ago (he came that way from the pet store), but now I have a newer Sterbai that I got as a baby (perfectly formed) and he is showing the same signs and I'm not sure what is causing this or if this is an issue with the Sterbai's, since I've never seen this before.

Initially, I had bought six Sterbai cories from a questionable pet store and one by one they died with the exception of two. I still have the largest one and she looks fine, for the most part. The other original Sterbai fied several months ago because his nose/whiskers slowly ate away until there was nothing there and he couldn't breath properly. I decided to get more Sterbais from a reputable fish store and found a tank full of baby Sterbais. I'm not sure if they are just sensitive fish or not, but out of several I bought, only one survived. However, he is showing the same nose issue that my last one did. It's all worn away and there are no whiskers anymore. He goes up quite often for air--which is the same thing the other one did before he died.

I have pool filter sand, some river stones, driftwood, and live plants in my tank. I typically vacuum water change once weekly about 30% of the water. My water parameters are fine for the types of fish I have (all soft, acidic Amazonian fish) and runs a pH around 6.0-6.4

I have only the two Sterbai's left and I'm very hesitant to get more since I've had so many problems with them. Does anyone know why this would be happening or is it something genetic with the Sterbais?

If it's the Sterbai's, than I'll take a chance and get some other cories--maybe Panda or the smaller dwarf ones. I just really don't want any more problems. Can anyone recommend a hearty, small cory that might work in my tank?

I would check that your sub-strate isnt too sharp. As corys nuzzle through the sand, if your gravel/sand is too sharp, it can damage the "Whiskers".

I would check the tank water values, defently cory are quite hardy fish and something is not right in your tank.
Just an idea ?

Cories are hardy fish, but have very sensitive barbels (their face whiskers). They have to dig around the substrate to find their food. It's good that you have sand, but some sand can still be sharp, even if it is very fine. I would try rubbing some on your fingers to see if it is smooth or not. I have kept sterbais, and have found that mine tended to be much more shy than my other cories. If it's not the sand, and your water parameters are fine, then maybe if the sterbais tend to hide in one place, their hiding spot is getting the water flow, and the waste is piling up in there? Just a weird suggestion, but could maybe be something to look at. GL, and I hope you find what the problem is!! I have found green cories to be very hardy and easily found as well if you wanted to try them once you figure out the problem, if it is at all in your tank :)

I have ten Sterbai and have never had a problem at all . I use aquatic sand in my tanks , but a mate of mine used pool sand fom B&Q for a couple months and he then had the same problem as you . He now uses cat litter and the barbels on this cory have growen back . So pool sand could be to sharpe or have some thing in it as well , or just the wrong sand for the job ..

Wondering if there are chems in it or something? Or could be just plain sharp.

Take a bit of sand out and examine it either via a magnifying glass whether the particles are nicely rounded, or between your fingers to feel if it's sharp. The other option is that it's possible they came with some type of bacterial infection that ate the barbels away.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I had switched from smooth natural gravel to PFS a while back. The first batch of cories had the gravel and the second batch the sand. It happened with both. I thought PFS was supposed to be better for them. It is courser than the smooth gravel. But why would one be affected and not the other?

Strange.

PFS is supposed to be better but if you are saying it's coarser(sand for corys is very smooth) then it's not any better than a fine rounded gravel.
The species could be more succeptible due to genetics as you suggested or possibly because of not so healthy upbringing, etc..
In both cases, whether bacterial or caused by the substrate, it should affect all corys early or later. Some of them could be healthier in general, so it may take longer.
How is the water flow at the bottom? Does debris gather easily and is visible constantly? What filter do you have in the tank and what is the water flow rating? Are there any other devices like powerheads, etc?

^^^ These are all great questions, I think you might have a buildup where your cories like to hide. if they're hiding in there for even just a part of the time, they can get infected barbels. I would look to their hiding places.

I think she meant that her pfs isn't AS course as the gravel, so why would this happen in both, and dif sets of cories... I think this is correct lol. Did you switch substrates in the same tank? If so, could your cories have the same hiding place as the other cories? bc then that would affect both. Hm, brainstorming.... :)

The water flow in the thank isn't very strong except where the filter output is.  I have a HOB Aquaclear 50 on the right of the tank, which is a 27 gallon cube.  There is some debris on the bottom, even after I vacuum almost 1/3 of the water in my weekly water changes, but not a lot.  The place where they typically hide is behind a piece of driftwood that is placed standing up on the left back corner, so it is possible that debris accumulates there.  That is also the area where the otos hang out AND the hatches, although they are at the top.  So, the more I think about it, the more I think I need to do a better job of cleaning that corner! 

The thing is, though, that the larger, older cory is there most of the time, but it's the smaller one that is losing it's 'nose'....

I don't have any powerheads and have no idea what the water flow rating is.  I have Bolivian rams and I don't think they like too much flow....

I guess it can be any number of things.  The Sterbai could just be more sensitive for some reason, the PFS could be too course and the little guy is too aggressive in searching for food, bacterial infection, dirty corner area.  What about the pH in the tank?  For the past several months, my pH has been running around 6.0 or less.  Previously it was 6.2 to 6.5.  Then again, I had this problem with another cory when the pH was higher, so that may have nothing to do with it.

I'll just try to do a better job of cleaning the bottom, especially that back left corner, and feed them less.  I'm not sure what else to do.

I have bolivians and i have a pretty strong flow in my tank. While they might prefer less of a flow, they are very sensitive to water conditions, so if you need a stronger flow to get a cleaner tank/water, then i would def. do it.  I think cories def. have a tendency to pic out of the way places to hang out and hide, and naturally that will be where most of the poop accumulates, so next time you vacuum, just spend extra time cleaning their hiding places. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back