Problem With African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

generaltso23

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for frog problems, but I'm hoping somebody might have some suggestions. I have a 26 gallon tank that's fully cycled with a mix of tropical community fish (Mollies, Platy, Neons, & guppies). I added two African Dwarf Frogs 13 days ago. After 7 days, one of the frogs seemed to be stuck on the surface. I know they go to the surface occasionally to breath, but he seemed to be stuck there. He was still moving plenty, but it just didn't seem like he could go back down to the bottom of the tank. He stayed at the top of the tank all day and the next morning he was dead. The other frog seemed fine, but now it's about 5 days later and he's doing the same thing. He's successfully made it back down to the bottom a few times, but he can't seem to stay there for long before he floats back up to the top (seemingly against his will). I'm afraid that he'll be dead tomorrow if I don't do something.

I brought a water sample to my local fish store, and they said that it was perfect. I've been feeding with tropical fish flakes and sinking "frog bites". But I've never actually seen the frogs eat, no matter how close the food is to them. Could that be the problem? Has anyone seen this "floating frog" problem before?

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for frog problems, but I'm hoping somebody might have some suggestions. I have a 26 gallon tank that's fully cycled with a mix of tropical community fish (Mollies, Platy, Neons, & guppies). I added two African Dwarf Frogs 13 days ago. After 7 days, one of the frogs seemed to be stuck on the surface. I know they go to the surface occasionally to breath, but he seemed to be stuck there. He was still moving plenty, but it just didn't seem like he could go back down to the bottom of the tank. He stayed at the top of the tank all day and the next morning he was dead. The other frog seemed fine, but now it's about 5 days later and he's doing the same thing. He's successfully made it back down to the bottom a few times, but he can't seem to stay there for long before he floats back up to the top (seemingly against his will). I'm afraid that he'll be dead tomorrow if I don't do something.

I brought a water sample to my local fish store, and they said that it was perfect. I've been feeding with tropical fish flakes and sinking "frog bites". But I've never actually seen the frogs eat, no matter how close the food is to them. Could that be the problem? Has anyone seen this "floating frog" problem before?

i have had this problem many times when i fed them with frog and newt bites.
i now feed my frogs with blood worms or brine shrimp they love it.

your problem may also be a result of over feeding.

How can I tell if I'm overfeeding or underfeeding? I was only putting in a couple of the little frog bites a day, but the fish were eating them so I've been adding a couple more. I've never seen the frogs eat them though, or eat anything for that matter. Do you think I should stay way from frog bites?

Is it common for ADFs to float before they die? Is there anything I can do if he's already floating but still moving around plenty?

How can I tell if I'm overfeeding or underfeeding? I was only putting in a couple of the little frog bites a day, but the fish were eating them so I've been adding a couple more. I've never seen the frogs eat them though, or eat anything for that matter. Do you think I should stay way from frog bites?

Is it common for ADFs to float before they die? Is there anything I can do if he's already floating but still moving around plenty?

ADFs will usually eat the left over food from the other fish, but not always, i would separate him from the fish until you see improvement, this would be the best thing to do. if they float up against their will they have something wrong with them.

I figured it wasn't normal when the first frog was stuck at the surface. But now that the same thing is happening to the second frog, I know it's not just an anomaly. I don't have another tank to use to separate the frog from the fish. But the fish don't seem to be bothering him even with him at the surface. I'm just not sure what to do.

Well, the frog is still alive this morning, but he's still stuck at the surface. I poked him with a net to see if he was still alive, and he swam back down to the bottom. But as soon as he got there, he just floated back up to the top.

Now he's dead. I can't say I didn't see it coming. I really liked the frogs so I would like to get more, but I need to figure out what killed them before adding any more. The fish all seem fine. Anyone know what would make frogs float uncontrollably for 24 hours before they die?

Is there salt in the tank? I would not mix frogs and fish only because the dwarf frogs are usually shy and the fish will get to the food faster than the frogs. Also what is the temperature of the tank?

Those frogs should not be eating fish flakes, and the sinking pellets may have been eaten before the frogs could get to them, and thats no good if the fish are eating the frogs pellets.

If it was me have a tank only with frogs, and the other only with fish.

The dwarf frogs love frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, they also like live blackworms. Pellets are ok but too many of them is no good especially if you only feed pellets.

Your frogs may also had Bloat disease. A picture would help to identify that.

Some helpful sites.
http://davidcecere.pipidae.org/
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

Is there salt in the tank? I would not mix frogs and fish only because the dwarf frogs are usually shy and the fish will get to the food faster than the frogs. Also what is the temperature of the tank?

Those frogs should not be eating fish flakes, and the sinking pellets may have been eaten before the frogs could get to them, and thats no good if the fish are eating the frogs pellets.

If it was me have a tank only with frogs, and the other only with fish.

The dwarf frogs love frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, they also like live blackworms. Pellets are ok but too many of them is no good especially if you only feed pellets.

Your frogs may also had Bloat disease. A picture would help to identify that.

Some helpful sites.
[URL="http://davidcecere.pipidae.org/"]http://davidcecere.pipidae.org/[/URL]
[URL="http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html"]http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html[/URL]

There's no salt in the tank and I keep it at 78 degrees.

I tried to drop the pellets as close to the frogs as possible, and they landed right next to them on several occasions. But I never actually saw them eat them. If they died of starvation, would that have caused them to float like that before they died?

I know it's better to keep frogs separate from fish, but I only have one tank and I don't think my wife will let me add another one. How do so many people keep ADFs with fish successfully if the frogs won't eat with the fish around?

The frogs didn't look bloated at all, and they were still swimming around when they were stuck at the surface. Thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out.

Hi there - so sorry to hear about your poor froggies!

I have kept two ADFs in my community tank for the past year with no problems - other than the initial week where they obviously were not eating because I'd been told they would just forage around in the tank for food debris... so they basically starved the first week I had them but luckily from doing research online I discovered the correct way to feed them and they have been absolutely fine since then.

What is the height of your tank? These frogs are not super swimmers and will struggle to reach the top for air in a tank that is over 12-15inches high.

I've never seen either of my frogs floating up to the surface and they don't even float at the surface (although I have read that some frogs do this if they learn that they can catch food easier from up there!)

Anyway, if you do buy more frogs, make sure they look healthy when you get them - clear eyes, nice clean and bright skin, moving about with ease in the tank etc. Also, buy some frozen bloodworm/daphnia/baby brine shrimp etc - as this will make up their regular diet - they needs lots of protein foods. Once a week I treat mine to some live foods but it's not necessary. Not sure if you've seen them, but my LFS sells a new kind of food that comes in little sachets - bloodworms, daphnia or brine shrimp, in a kind of jelly...my ADFs tuck into these, and they are good because as you squeeze the mixture out it sinks to the bottom of the tank.

At first your frogs may need a bit of help at feed times - they are very slow at grabbing for food - often it can be right in front of their face and they stare at it for ages before lunging forward and gulping it - and in the meantime a greedy fish may come along and get it first! so you really do have to watch them at feeding time to make sure that they have eaten something. If they keep going without then you will need to take action, otherwise they may starve and become anorexic.

If you notice this happening, you have several options. Some people use a turkey baster to direct the food directly at the frogs and use a net nearby to guard off the fish. Or you may want to scoop the frogs into a little container and add the food, let them eat before releasing back into tank (a bit long-winded process really but sometimes it's a case of having to).

When feeding frozen foods, don't just put the whole cube into the tank. Dissolve it in a little tank water first, then sieve them off with a net to get rid of the manky water - add them to another cup of tank water, sloosh around and pour small amounts in directly above your frogs. The food will sink and land around the frogs and hopefully they will have time to eat a few pieces before the fish get it all!

Good luck - Athena

Thanks for all the info Athena. My tank is about 18" high. Do you think that could have contributed to the problem? The frogs never seemed to have any trouble reaching the surface for air.

I have the same, 18"
Been almost a year i've had my 2 ADF's in my 29g, and they survived. They never struggled either.
When I read this, i didn't get it. Was the ADF bloated? My ADF goes up to the surface to eat food, and usually just stays there for a little, then goes back down.

Also, mine is a little bloated, I don't know. I know it has breeded with my male frog. :S

Hey. I had the same problem with my ADF. I moved him into his own tank away from the guppies, and was feeding him frog bites and he was fine for about a week. Then I changed the water, and did everything I was supposed to do with that (left it out for 48 hours, added aquasafe). But right after I changed his water he started curling his legs up and then started floating at the top all the time. I had read that they will float at the top so I thought he was just finally comfortable in his tank. Then I come home and he's dead. Not bloated, he was eating fine, just dead. I'm planning on having the water tested and asking some experts at the pet store, and I'll let you know what they say.

Just know you're not crazy and you're not alone!

I have 1 ADF in my community tank and has been in there for about a year without any problems, I feed bloodworm a couple of times a week so it usually gets some. ADF's can last a couple of weeks without food so I don't think that starvation is the cause as its likely they get something to eat over the two week period.

If you are worried they are not eating, you can defrost some bloodworm in water and 'hand feed' the frogs using a turkey baster, suck up some bloodworm and slowly squirt them out just above the frogs head, they will soon get used to it and will come to the surface when they see the baster, I have never had to do this though.

ALSO FROGS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO CHLORINE so when you do a water change, I'd recommend that you put a bit extra aquasafe in your water to ensure there is no chlorine left at all. If the frog is affected by chlorine, one of the symptoms will be the frogs eyes will glaze over and usually go white. Also frogs do tend to float when dying / dead.

Andy

you shouldnt use filters in frog tanks as they have an over developed lateral line, theyre VERY sensitive to vibrations and it stresses them out to the point where it can kill them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back