Problem With African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm having the same problem! It's like he's got a little air bubble inside of him and he struggles and struggles to get to the bottom of the tank, but can't get further than about half way. Then he gets tired and floats to the surface. I know he's eating--blood worms, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. The tank is only about 15 inches from gravel to surface of water. He appears healthy--good color, not bloated, not too thin...What is going on?!?

Hi natalie265,
I had the same problem with one of my ADFs. I used Tetracycline for 4 days and my frog returned to normal. However, it's been a few weeks since then and he's doing it again. Did you ever find out what caused it?
Tetracycline colored my water a very dark red and it still isn't completely colorless or clear. I think I'll try Maracyn 2 instead this time. Has anyone had this floating problem, know what causes it and successfully got rid of it with Macaryn 2?
Any information would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for frog problems, but I'm hoping somebody might have some suggestions. I have a 26 gallon tank that's fully cycled with a mix of tropical community fish (Mollies, Platy, Neons, & guppies). I added two African Dwarf Frogs 13 days ago. After 7 days, one of the frogs seemed to be stuck on the surface. I know they go to the surface occasionally to breath, but he seemed to be stuck there. He was still moving plenty, but it just didn't seem like he could go back down to the bottom of the tank. He stayed at the top of the tank all day and the next morning he was dead. The other frog seemed fine, but now it's about 5 days later and he's doing the same thing. He's successfully made it back down to the bottom a few times, but he can't seem to stay there for long before he floats back up to the top (seemingly against his will). I'm afraid that he'll be dead tomorrow if I don't do something.

I brought a water sample to my local fish store, and they said that it was perfect. I've been feeding with tropical fish flakes and sinking "frog bites". But I've never actually seen the frogs eat, no matter how close the food is to them. Could that be the problem? Has anyone seen this "floating frog" problem before?
Hello I have read almost this whole thread and I also have 3 adf’s and have see this floating problem. A strong filter can disturb the frogs and make it hard for them to swim normally also I would lower your take temp to 76°. Adf’s can be very active and fun pets especially when givin the right investment I find that mine love the The Suckerfish as their tank mate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back