Probably A Silly Question :p

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

kylealastairlove

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi all, as the title suggests I feel like I might be asking a stupid question here but here goes anyway...
do all brackish fish eventually have to be kept in marine/ saltwater conditions or can they be kept in brackish water forĀ all theirĀ life ?Ā  (I know there are some fish that do have to go to full salt water, I just don't know about others)

The only silly questions are when the person asking already knows the answer, it would if they thought about it.

In response to your (non-silly) question, I believe that some fish just have a tendency to thrive in brackish water eg Mollies, without ever needing a marine set up.

This would, perhaps, be better suited for the brackish discussion area.Ā 

Some fish (and inverts) live in brackish estuaries for their entire lives, salinity in these can vary from practically freshwater to practically saltwater.

attibones said:
This would, perhaps, be better suited for the brackish discussion area.Ā 
Ā 
this is indeed true, which is why I've moved it.

As an add on, the simple answer is no.
Ā 
Some fish do indeed move during their lives from brackish to either fresh or salt water, others can live out their entire span in brackish conditions.

And some are predominately freshwater fish that do best in low brackish conditions when kept in captivity

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers :)
It all depends on the fish/species of animal. For example Salmon spawns in fresh water.
Some inverts like nerite snails or certain shrimp species need brackish enviromentĀ for the babies to growĀ but then they live in fresh water once reaching adult stage.

Most reactions

trending

Back