"Priming" Filter Media Prior to Setting Up an Aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My suggestion was add plants and not ammonia. That way when you get back from your hols you will have a tank that is ready for fish and looks good - and your husband does not need to do anything.

the point is if you want to do a silent cycle with lots of plants, you would need a well planted tank with healthy actively growing pants,

yes, you could wait several weeks for the plants to get really well established by fertilizing and eventually adding the fish, but the fishless cycling without plants provides more assurance that you tank is fully cycled and ready for fish as you can test for proper conditions.

But in the end the choice is yours. but those are your options.

My suggestion was add plants and not ammonia. That way when you get back from your hols you will have a tank that is ready for fish and looks good - and your husband does not need to do anything.
Ok, thanks... I am curious though... Are you suggesting that, when I return, I add some fish and THEN START start the cycle with fish as the source of ammonia then? Or are you suggesting that my tank will be mostly cycled and ready for fish when I return? I guess that is what is confusing me... If you are suggesting that it will be mostly cycled when I return, I am confused as to how this would be possible. How will the Cycle have started without a source of ammonia (by either adding ammonia or fish?)

the point is if you want to do a silent cycle with lots of plants, you would need a well planted tank with healthy actively growing pants,

yes, you could wait several weeks for the plants to get really well established by fertilizing and eventually adding the fish, but the fishless cycling without plants provides more assurance that you tank is fully cycled and ready for fish as you can test for proper conditions.

But in the end the choice is yours. but those are your options.
Ok, this makes sense... Thanks!!! So, I can start the fishless cycling without plants, by adding ammonia before I leave for vaca, and then when I return from vacation, and I have verified (via testing) that the tank is done cycling, then I can stop adding ammonia and begin adding plants and fish.... I think this will be the best approach.

if you go that route, when you come home check your levels and figure out where you are in the cycle process. You need to check ammonia, nitrate , and nitrate levels using a test kit such as API test kit. At some point.in the process, ..as seen in the chart...you add more ammonia to bring it back to 3 ppm when testing determines you are at that point. Just read and then reread the complete directions in the cycling thread so you are successful.

When you get back from vacation, even if both ammonia and nitrite are zero, I would add enough ammonia to take it back up to 3 ppm and test next day. Those results will show if the cycle has finished; both zero, it has finished, but either of them over zero, it hasn't.

if you go that route, when you come home check your levels and figure out where you are in the cycle process. You need to check ammonia, nitrate , and nitrate levels using a test kit such as API test kit. At some point.in the process, ..as seen in the chart...you add more ammonia to bring it back to 3 ppm when testing determines you are at that point. Just read and then reread the complete directions in the cycling thread so you are successful.
Planned on it... I just didn't specify that... I realize that when I get back I will need to test the water to figure out where I am at in the cycling process. I have the API Master Test kit already. I know that I will likely need to add additional ammonia when I return (depending on the test results). I have read the directions in the cycling thread already, but I will likely be re-reading them SEVERAL times throughout the process to make sure I am doing everything right. :D Thanks so much for all of the advice!!

When you get back from vacation, even if both ammonia and nitrite are zero, I would add enough ammonia to take it back up to 3 ppm and test next day. Those results will show if the cycle has finished; both zero, it has finished, but either of them over zero, it hasn't.
Makes sense... Thank you!! I will definitely do that. :)

Most reactions

Back