Priming External Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metalmayhem4

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got my external filter. I set it up but when I prime it water (very little) goes through gets taken into the filter then stops. I followed the instructions (what there was off them). Just cant get it to work. I've got an all pond solution 2000ef. Please help

Not used this one myself but opening uo the filter and manually filling with tank water can help to prime externals. Also make sure all taps are in the open position.

I did fill it with tank water. How do you no if tap is open or not?

On the APS filters, the 'tap' for the pipes is the lever that fits the pipes onto the top of the filter.

They can take some priming to get them going; keep on pressing it until no air comes our of the inlet/outlet.

It can be a good ides to gently tilt the filter, this way and that, to release the trapped air too.

How do you know if it is primed. Also it must be turned off when you prime it?

You know it's primed when no more air bubbles come out of the inlet/outlet (the air can be forced out either way).

You can prime in when it's on, but if you let it run dry for too long, you can damage the motor, so I wouldn't do that.

Keep priming and tilting until no more bubbles come out, then switch it on. Let it run for a minute or two, at most, and if the water doesn't start flowing, switch it back off and prime again.

Try filling it by the outlet pipe till the water overflows, do it over the tank then prime it with the plunger.

I filled the filter 75%. Then started trying to prime. Some water comes through then dribbles through thats it.

If you take the inlet out the tank and pour water down it until the tube is full the filter should therefore be full too. Stick your thumb over the end of the inlet and put it back under water then turn the filter on and it should get going (I do this with my Eheim sometimes).

As soon as I pour water in there tho it goes in the filter and stops. Its not continuous

Carry on pouring water into the tube until the tube is full :good:

The filter will start, once you have all the air out; I know it's annoying, but you'll get it going :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back