Previously Going, Now Went Marine

thanks rabbut :D

i'd definitely come back here. and i'm going to check out how your tank has been doing :)

got back from camp and dad says the small torch's gone :( the brain doesn't look well at all either. brown jelly hit the hammer and took away half of it before stopping. and the large torch lost one tiny head.

my corals seem to be bleaching and i can't figure out why.

nitrate: 10ppm
nitrite 0.0ppm
alkalinity (dkh): 9
pH: 8.4
ammonia: 0.20ppm
sg: 1.024
ca: 450
mg: >1400
temp: 26°C

lighting 4x24w T5 over a 2'x1'x1.5' on from 8 to 5. anyone as any ideas on coral bleaching?

The Ammonia probably. Get it re-tested. if it is detectable, you have a probable cause and reason for a large (50% ish) water change on the sharp :nod: You then need to work out why the ammonia is up, but that is something to do after getting it down again :nod: You Mg looks a it on the high side also, but that is rarely an issue for aquarium live stock :good:

All the best
Rabbut

ah my fault at the ammonia. it should be 0.00ppm which takes it off the blame list.

i read somewhere that says bleaching is caused by either light or temperature. my temp's stable at 26 which leaves light. the web also says that for fluorescent tubes to be remotely effective, they need to be the most 3" away from the water surface. is that true?

False info on the lights. Lighting is NOT likely your problem.

Have you had your salinity measure verified either by making your own calibration solution, or via an LFS? My $$ would be on a faulty measuring device.

i'm using a refractometer now which reads 1.024. the old hydrometer also reads close to that value, just a bit off towards 1.023.

should i do another test using the solution method?

I would. Refractometers rarely drift once calibrated (unless subjected to a few too many knocks) and Hydrometers aren't fantastically accurate to start with... If you suspect there is anything wrong with the refractometer, checking it against the hydrometer may just be giving you a false sence of security...

wow its been more than 2 years since i started this journey here. is everyone still around? :)

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

Hey! Good to see you back here! You seem to have some really matter of fact people advising you on here to start with!! Maybe it was just me but there a few posts I thought was quite harsh to you. Its much friendlier now!! Seffie and Ben are still around, they're the only names I recognise.

Your corals look great! What lighting are they under? Really makes your coral stand out!!

Those corals look stunning mate. Well done! Really like the zoas with the red and blue in them.

What's this I hear then about some nasty posts then?

Where u been these last 2 years?

really? i don't recall anything strong posts against me though. point me in the right direction? haha if anything its probably cause i asked really dumb questions as a noob before :X i remember steffie and ben! both of them gave me much advise before as can be seen a few pages back. ben's a mod now too!

i'm using all ATI t5 tubes thats why the colour pops.

woody thats commonly known as eagle eyes or skittles. google image will get you many pictures of them :)

Well, look who is here, its great to see you :kana:

And looks like you have gone big time into 'sticks' oh well, can't have it all :p

Seffie x

really? i don't recall anything strong posts against me though. point me in the right direction? haha if anything its probably cause i asked really dumb questions as a noob before :X i remember steffie and ben! both of them gave me much advise before as can be seen a few pages back. ben's a mod now too!

i'm using all ATI t5 tubes thats why the colour pops.

woody thats commonly known as eagle eyes or skittles. google image will get you many pictures of them :)

Just goin by what Lewis said tbh. Plus I heard there was a prob with a particular member or some posts or something on here but that's all I heard.

I like me gossip! Lol

oo a particular member during the time i was still around? doesn't ring any bells sadly. though i do curious as to what on my part brought any negativity. there's always room to learn from old mistakes.

hello steffie! great to see you here too :hyper:

sps eventually is just a decision away for any reefer, i just made my early. here's some more shots,

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

:cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back