Previously Going, Now Went Marine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i finally got myself a skimmer which leaves me puzzled on how to work it :unsure:

its a second hand and i assume it to be a venturi driven skimmer. here's a diagram on how i set it up just now but i'm not convinced its set this way. there isn't any air valves or anything and i still have to find a way to control the water level cause at the moment it keeps overflowing. apart from that it is foaming rather well from the wood

skimmer.jpg

i dont think the air tube should be plugged in on the left as above but thats the only way at the moment that i can get the air tube in :angry:

anyone?

(the black patch is what you see, a piece of black plastic around the column, not allowing any view of whats going on inside)

i think i got the skimmer working *fingers crossed* only time and the skimmate would tell whether it still needs twitching.

hmm i can't get the link to work, but i have a somewhat rough idea on what you're saying. people also use pvc pipes as a cheaper alternative for the acrylic rods. it eliminates potential dead areas too. but i don't think it'd work for mine cause its viewable from the sides as well, unless i get some rubble on the pipes :unsure:

Any chance of a photo of the skimmer itself? Good diagram, but if it's verturi driven, you shouldn't need a lime block for it to work... A photo would be better help (to me at least) of walking you through it's set-up...

All the best
Rabbut

ah i see the link now. sure is tempting that pillar thing :drool: another guy used pvc pipes to made a sort of stairs/grand stand structure though it was quite awhile ago that i saw it.

after a whole day's work, i finally got the cabinet drilled, the overflow pipe ready, the return pipe ready, the tank drained, and cleaned and restored, the fishes all totally frightened. and a unsuccessful DIY overflow box (cause the down valve was too small to let water through fast enough. the sump ready, the skimmer in, and the plugs done. not to mention, a really messy living room :lol:

sorry rabbut but picture's would have to wait till tomorrow, it has been a long day. its nice to have you here as a helping hand :good:

well I decided to nix the pillar idea. Was told it's pretty hard a lot of rock can end up cracking or shattering :(

I may try it some other time.

i might try that soon considering i have excess pipes left and im looking for a new scape :shifty:

couldn't get a picture of the skimmer in the sump so here's the pic i got off from the seller, put a little drawing to give a better picture of whats going on.

post-15847-1236257531.jpg

currently the red tube is connected to an air pump. the previous user left it open which works too but i find an air pump gives more bubbles.

OK, so you scrapped the idea of running a lime block inside the chamber then? That's good, the set-up you now describe is correct for that skimmer :good:

flash back, some of my past corals that has been sold off,

DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF0574.jpg

i really regret selling off this one

DSCF0517.jpg

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0614.jpg

my first two clowns :D

DSCF0427.jpg

and how it went from this,

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0396.jpg

to this,

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0406.jpg

DSCF0405.jpg

to this,

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0428.jpg

DSCF0509.jpg

DSCF0497.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

to this,

DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0527.jpg

to this,

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

thanks guys :)

i'd be going army soon so i don't know how's the tank's going to be without me there. fingers crossed

Aye, fingers crossed, it looks good now, a tank crash would be a real shame :nod:

Good luck with service, with the way the world is ATM you may need it to stay safe. :sad:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back