Preventing Fish Diseases

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When I first entered the hobby I knew nothing about fish and the diseases that come with fish keeping. I've learned about ick, fungal and bacterial diseases. I also learned that stress can cause the fish to get sick with a weakened immune system.

My question is this: Couldn't we use a UV water sterilizer to combat and prevent future disease outbreaks? Thoughts?

I also ask this because I have a Twinstar Yotta+ in my tank running 24/7 and wondering if the thing actually works...so far no fish has ever gotten sick in the year I've running it.

Pathogens they mentioned are for humans, like e-coli and herpes, and I don't get it..

Pathogens they mentioned are for humans, like e-coli and herpes, and I don't get it..

I don't get it either. They show a sick Discus getting better in a tank with this thing running. Maybe it's a scam, but I bought it to try it out and it seems to work. Either that or I got better at keeping fish!

I don't get the thing with discus getting better with this thing. If it "kills" pathogens, how the fish can get better with something that kills the pathogens, as well inside the fish already? I just don't get it.
I think you got better in keeping fish just like me lol. I've made so many mistakes..

There are a lot of unanswered questions. The link does not say how this gadget works. With UV, water is directed through a tube that is subject to UV and the water then returns to the aquarium. Is that how this apparatus works? And what actually "kills" the pathogen? "Sterilizer" can be anything from bleach to disinfectant to UV to... whatever.

As for the "diseases" it kills, Saprolegniasis is an infections caused by Saprolegnia fungi. I've never seen this in my tanks. E-coli is an intestinal bacteria. White cloud disease presumably is the Streptococcal bacteria infection. Edwards disease I've never heard of, I guess it may be the bacterial Edwardsiella tarda? Herpes is a virus. No idea if fish even get most of these.

I think you probably just got better at fish keeping :)

From what I know, UV can kill certain bacteria.
But in an aquarium, we are dealing with bacteria, parasite, virus, fungi, etc...

And UV can't get rid of all the above.

So, although UV is useful, it might be limited...

Most infections that happened in my tanks are caused parasites.
I had very few cases of bacteria infections as I change my tanks water(large water change) and remove the debris frequently.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back