Prevent fry from getting caught in filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vorpal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We've had a fry get caught in the filter pump in our breeding tak today. Is there something I can cover it with to keep them getting in there?

Or a pump unit especially for a breeding tank?

TIA

Use air driven filters. Worked for me for just about everything

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Whilst air driven (sponge or box) filters are very good for fry/breeding tanks, don't forget that if you remove your current filter to replace it, you'll leave your tank uncycled.

If you wrap a piece of sponge around your current filter (it will need to be a coarse one so it doesn't impede the flow), that will stop the fry being sucked in, and you can, later, use that to 'seed' an new, less powerful filter.

Our tank is already cycled. Aren't the bacteria and stuff already in the system enough to keep it cycled when I change filter types?

Our tank is already cycled. Aren't the bacteria and stuff already in the system enough to keep it cycled when I change filter types?
That depends on how well the tank is established.
It is true that there can be a lot of beneficial bacteria (BB) in the substrate and on the decor. However, a filter is a great place for a BB colony...and if the colony is strong enough, there may be only slight amounts elsewhere.
If you were to switch to a sponge filter, I'd suggest setting it up, then 'cleaning the existing filter media right in the tank so the new filter will receive a good dose of BB.
Alternatively, I'd suggest a sponge pre-filter (Fluval has a decent one) for the filter intake. In the meantime some mesh or even a piece of nylon panty hose will do the deed.

I have no idea where to get a box filter. I will look, but int he meanwhile, putting a bit of nylon stocking over it is a great idea. Thanks, all!

Just came back to update... I haven't found another filter type, but the nylon stocking over the filter/pump unit seems to work a treat.

Thanks!

Just came back to update... I haven't found another filter type, but the nylon stocking over the filter/pump unit seems to work a treat.

Thanks!

You'd be better served with a sponge pre-filter. Fluva; has one, also aquarium co-op sells several that would work.

Tank on,
-Mike

We don't know what kind of filter he has. In a previous thread he mentioned living in Norway, and I have no idea what kind of filters are sold there.
For example, when my shrimps were in their own tank I used an Eheim Aquaball filter and there is no way a prefilter could be attached to that. I used a sock made of the same stuff as tights (pantyhose) pulled up over all the intake vents and that worked well for the aquaball.

Yes, I live in Norway. I use Eheim internal sponge filters. External filters are available here, and verious internal sponge or sponge/charcoal filters. I haven't seen box filters. The only pre-filters I've seen are for external filter systems.

I use a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank as the flow is not strong. These are also ideal for fry. This is the one I have, and an Eheim air pump which is much quieter than the JBL pump I had first. It comes in various sizes.
This sponge filter was recommended by the man at the shop because it has a weighted base and he'd heard of the kind that attach to the glass with suckers becoming unstuck and floating where they don't work properly.
Is there anything like this in Norway?

I agree, it is unlikely unless the water flow is very strong. But that doesn't stop people worrying though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back