Pretty Tetra With Angels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

noobgamers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guys wan to get 12 pretty tetra to go in my 50 it currently has 7 mollys 12 black phantom tetra 2 angels 12 bronze corydoras and a common pleco (12cm he will need re homing when he grows but ill come to that when it becomes a problem) im going to return the 7 mollys and was going to buy 12 pretty tetra but how ell will they fare with angels theyre unpaired and i believe theyre both female but its always difficult to tell because theyre only small being about 2 inch (5cm) size will this work it is heavily planted with crypts and amazon swords will be adding some duckweed to it when i can get hold of some 27 degrees temp ph is 7 i do 10% wtaer chnges every week and one 25% monthly 

If you get something like cardinals that are quite large, the angel will not be able to eat them

Cardinals are certainly not large in comparison to a fully grown angelfish and their slender body shape puts them at an even higher risk of becoming lunch. I would personally recommend lemon tetras but anything that size/shape or bigger would be fine. Just avoid known fin nippers such as Serpae Tetras as the angelfish's fins will not last very long with them.

Assuming by Pretty Tetra you are referring to the species Hemigrammus pulcher, then yes, they should be fine with angelfish and the Black Phantom.  A group of 9 would be my minimum.

This is a very lovely fish, and one that here in Canada where I live is very seldom seen, sadly.  I have had it twice in 20 years, and found it a lovely fish; peaceful, and active but not excessively which would of course disturb the sedate angelfish which do not appreciate fish charging around such as barbs or danio would do.  It is closely related to the much more commonly-seen Head and Tail Light, but in my view a much nicer little fish.  The garnet shading exhibited by males, especially when displaying and spawning, is very beautiful.  It remains in the upper-mid level which is a bonus, as many fish suitable with angels are lower-half (the Phantoms for example will tend to remain in the lower half).  Being disk-shaped, it does not run the risk of being seen as easy food by mature angels, such as linear fish usually do.

Byron.

Oh... I didn't realise that there was an actual tetra called a pretty tetra 
laugh.png

wrightt3 said:
Oh... I didn't realise that there was an actual tetra called a pretty tetra 
laugh.png
That's one problem with "common" names, they are often only understood by the person using them.  I first came across this species as "Garnet Tetra" but I did see it somewhere as "Pretty," might have been in the Baensch Aquarium Atlas, not sure.  The scientific species epithet pulcher is the Latin for beautiful, so I suppose "Pretty Tetra" makes some sense. 
good.gif

Byron.

Byron said:
Assuming by Pretty Tetra you are referring to the species Hemigrammus pulcher, then yes, they should be fine with angelfish and the Black Phantom.  A group of 9 would be my minimum.

This is a very lovely fish, and one that here in Canada where I live is very seldom seen, sadly.  I have had it twice in 20 years, and found it a lovely fish; peaceful, and active but not excessively which would of course disturb the sedate angelfish which do not appreciate fish charging around such as barbs or danio would do.  It is closely related to the much more commonly-seen Head and Tail Light, but in my view a much nicer little fish.  The garnet shading exhibited by males, especially when displaying and spawning, is very beautiful.  It remains in the upper-mid level which is a bonus, as many fish suitable with angels are lower-half (the Phantoms for example will tend to remain in the lower half).  Being disk-shaped, it does not run the risk of being seen as easy food by mature angels, such as linear fish usually do.

Byron.
thank you ihave been considering many fish to replace themollys with and i thought likewise that barbs and rasboras would be too zealous and with tetra my options boiled down to head and tail bloodfin lemon pretty serpor pristella and since last time i checked my lfs they had no pristella pretty was a very close second best even though theyre top to mid level fish ill imagine theyll be mid level due to a lack of high plants p.s i intend to get 12 and thank you very much for the advice

noobgamers said:

Byron.
thank you ihave been considering many fish to replace themollys with and i thought likewise that barbs and rasboras would be too zealous and with tetra my options boiled down to head and tail bloodfin lemon pretty serpor pristella and since last time i checked my lfs they had no pristella pretty was a very close second best even though theyre top to mid level fish ill imagine theyll be mid level due to a lack of high plants p.s i intend to get 12 and thank you very much for the advice

You're very welcome.  If I may, I'll just comment on your list of fish here, as there are a couple that would be rather disastrous in with angelfish.  Bloodfin is one, and Serpae [your Serpor I assume] is the other.  Both are known to nip fins of sedate fish.  Pristella would be OK, in my experience.  Just so you know; if it were me, I would aim for those lovely Pretty Tetras.

Byron.

Byron said:

Byron.

You're very welcome.  If I may, I'll just comment on your list of fish here, as there are a couple that would be rather disastrous in with angelfish.  Bloodfin is one, and Serpae [your Serpor I assume] is the other.  Both are known to nip fins of sedate fish.  Pristella would be OK, in my experience.  Just so you know; if it were me, I would aim for those lovely Pretty Tetras.

Byron.

thank you again i didnt know that serpae were so nippy to the extent that they couldnt be kept with angels and i didnt know bloodfins were aggresive at all will definetely aim to find theose pretty tetra or if not pristella

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back