Preparing Slate Confusion !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

webbo87

Reaction score
Hi people

Sorry if already been discussed my problem is this, i have myself 3 natural slate tiles which i plan on breaking up and making a structure and cave for when my aquarium is up and running im just wondering which is the correct to prepare these before i start, they are straight from B&Q so not been outside etc they are clean so would i just sit them in boiling water, scrub them and then start my project because i have seen a few people mentioning using dechlorinated water and even placed in a oven and left for a week etc
no.gif
 can anyone point me in the right direction please !! many thanks

ANDY

Just scrub them in very hot water.

Thank you for clearing that up much appreciated
wink.png

Aye, don't boil rocks, they occasionally blow up.

So no boiling the kettle and putting them in that ?

Ahh wait ive just read it properly boiling water should be ok just no actually boiling them in the water e.g on a stove ? haha

You can pour hot water from the kettle over the slate, just don't put them on the stove in boiling water.

When I built a slate cave (for loaches) I roughly cut the slate pieces (hack saw to score was OK) to makes stacks for columns and flats for a roof. Number the pieces with pencil to make later assembly easier.

I then just scrubbed the slate in hot water to remove dust etc, dried thoroughly in airing cupboard for a few days and realised pencil numbering missing (use permanent marker next time). Stuck together, eventually, using aquarium silicone sealant. Bit of a nightmare holding the bits together as tended to slip apart before set. Masses of masking tape helps.

That lasted not very long before it fell apart the sealant coming cleanly away from the slate. I suspect water seeps in along the surface of the slate undermining the sealant. Also tended to be an algae magnet, mainly BBA. This was the only algae I every suffered, probably because my Ottos and Loaches couldn't get in the finer crevices keeping it clean.

2nd attempt I drilled a hole through the slate pieces (use water and a masonary bit), stacked the pieces up aligning the hole, filled the hole with JBL aquarium glue and pushed in a stainless steel screw. Let this set then using JBL glue glued the cave roof on. Still an algae magnet but stayed together longer, but in the end algae and roof not staying glued got the better of me.

Now replaced with a solid rock version (two columns and roof) that definitely gets less BBA algae (or fish keep clean) and so far has stayed together using just plain JBL glue.

What about getting enough slate to build using weight distribution so each slate holds other in place. Looks more naturally occurring got any pics dude?

does anyone know if slate has like flecs of silver in it i have broken up my slate scrubbed in boiling water and was just sorting where to put them when i was looking at bits some of them has the tiniest one flec of silver in them really small especially finding it on a large one lol ! should this be ok to use they are natural floor slate from b&q and passed the vinegar test any info appreciated :D

It'll be mica crystals embedded in the slate; very common, and totally safe, as far as I'm aware.

lovely stuff :D made my day knowing its common in slate and safe been waiting a while to start these thank you !! like i say there aint many just the odd one on a few bits i thought at first it was where i had hit the hammer haha thanks again much appreciated
good.gif

I'm also tempted to make a cave / swim through feature out of slate, so successful bonding agents tips would be appreciated. I've seen some epoxy substances as being fish non-toxic etc, but its a bit risk to trust eh !

My plan was to build up some legs and then put a lid on it, then a smaller leg set and another lid, but leave the base black so I could lift and hoover the substrate - most of the ones I see advertised have bases, which I think are likely a magnet for nasties.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back