Pregnant??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PanthyWanthy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all.. How can I tell If my Black Mollie is pregnant or not? She looks quite plump and Is acting really strange. For example she is laying on the bottom of the tank quite alot lately and hides In the plants. As I'm new to tropical fish keeping I still dont know lots about it. I have read on here about the gravid spots on Guppies but with my Black mollie you cant see anything..
Has anyone got a picture of a pregnant Black Mollie so I can see if It's the same or give me some advise..
Thanks.. I know I ask alot of questions and you probably think I'm a pain, but I'm learning :p

Cheers Sue :)

Hiya PW. I think you should find that she'll look like a mini ballon! She'll look like she's going to burst then bam you'll have some fry. With mollies it is generaly harder to predict the exact date but since the fry are bigger with any luck quite a few will survive even if you don't notice them in the tank for the first few hours :)

Hi, I am new to this, and I have a sailfin that I bought about 2 weeks ago, when I got her she looked like she was about to bust and she still is huge. She is a darker color so you can't see the gravid spot. Please help me.

Thanx :/
Ali

:eek: My female dropped her fry in the middle of the night so I'm not sure where she was in the tank..I have heard they tend to stay towards the bottom and in the plants when they are ready to birth.
We were able to save 10 of the fry..I was so excited!! :lol:
They are doing really well.

P.S. Try telling if a balloon belly molly is pregnant or not :blink: They already look like they are ready to burst..

Congralations - a true molly momma now ;) Keep an eye out - there could be more which she will drop over the next couple of days :nod:

Hi Rylka if you molly is still huge after two weeks this means one of two things;
1) Overfeeding - how much do you feed and how often and what food?
2) Really about to release babies any day now!!

Lets hope its the 2nd one :) and you'll be overun in babies in no time ;) Get back to me on how much you feed as overfeeding can sometimes be a problem :no:

I feed all of them once in the morning and once at night, I give them a little pinch, and she doesn't eat much, I checked the PH in my tank it was really low, so now I am raising it but she still hasn't had any, I have her in a breeder tank for about 2 weeks but she started acting very weird, and so I let her out and it has been a week since I let her out and still no babies.

Help.

Ali :(
P.S-One of my male sailfins died :-(

Sorry to hear of your loss Rylka, if your molly is definately not just fat due to overfeeding, then its just a matter of waiting, I wouldn't worry too much about you pH being low because by adding chemicals... each time you do a water change you will need to add more chemicals and chemicals are never a good thing!

Just stick in there and keep the water quality good (even if pH is a bit low) and sooner or later you'll come down to find your tank overun with babies!! I've crossed my fingers for you :thumbs:

Hi, sorry to join in the conversation so late but i can help with your question about baloon belly mollies. About 2 weeks ago i got a pair and in less than a week, i have 12 baby black baloon bellys. An easy way to tell if they are pregnant is the belly. From the front, look at the belly. If pregnant the scales will apear streatched and you can see white between them all. That is how i picked my molly gold mine!

Good luck! ;)

:no: Some one please help me I have two mollies that are going to have babies I got a new tank last night and after I changed them over to the new tank the one mollie that is not ready to have her babies yet is staying at the bottom of the tank. I am very worried that I have done something wrong these fish are very busy they wont rest a minute I think I might need some advise I put stress coat in the water but I think she is sick,could someone please help me out this is my first time with any fish I have only been keeping fish for a couple of months now.

A new tank should be cycled before u put any fish into it. Read this article on cycling . If u can return the fish back to the established tank and just hope for the best.

Most reactions

Back