Pregnant Sword Has Something Poking Out Of Her Vent

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrincessKiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had two swordtails for awhile now and the female has been preggo looking for nigh on two months. A couple days ago she started looking really fat and square so naturally I thought she was about to pop and redoubled my vigilance to catch any fry. Then I saw something orange (same shade as her body) poking out of her vent. I thought it was a fry but it's grown a bit over several days and has become covered in fuzzy white fungus, which I wiped off her yesterday with my finger cause it scared me. She's pooping and eating normally but looking stressed (she's always been a 'fraidy fish and the male isn't helping). I wanted her to pop so I could have another female...but...
Help please! I have no quarantine tank!
-PK

I'm no expert but if I had to guess I'd say it was a fry, but got stuck, sometimes when they hold on to a batch for so long they get bigger inside mommy.... so maybe it wedged in, died, and started decaying which is the fuzz...  not really sure what to do from here but maybe everything will work itself out.

Should I try to pull it out or catch her and stroke her sides gently to try to dislodge it? Don't wanna lose the others!

she will be majorly stressing right now and is probably very uncomfortable, so if you can find a way I'd try and remove it, I did it once myself with a guppy, at least sword tails are bigger. I used a pair of tweezers to pull it out, and made sure mommy got right back in the water.

I'll do it...if I can catch her! From what I felt removing the fuzz, it's wedged in there really tight...

...Okay. My veterinarian uncle took a look and said it's definitely a prolapsed birth canal. He also said she's about fifteen days away from her due date, which I think is weird since she's already boxed off. He told me to take her out so the others don't pick on her and put her in my only other tank, a 2L, with methylene blue and malachite green to stop the fungus that was growing on her. She looks better in that sense, but hasn't eaten. I feel really guilty keeping her in that. She has a piece of hornwort and a tiny ramshorn snail for company.
I'm glad I didn't try to pull any harder.

I've had one with a prolapse too! poor fishies glad you figured it out though

She didn't make it :( I cut her open in an attempt to save any babies and a 1" round mass of tiny white fry spilled out, all dead :'( I saw their tiny eyes! Ugh, I'll never forget that. :'(

I'm so sorry! The baby fish would have seemed lovely!  PS I'm sorry you had to cut open your fish :( 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back