Pregnant Shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mackb33

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I was looking for a little bit of advice as I'm fairly new to all of this.
I have a tank that's been set up for approximately 6 months. I have 4 Amano shrimp in there and have recently noticed a change to one of them. I've had a look at some other threads and in other photos the eggs seem to be quite visible whereas on the shrimp (pictured below) she just seems to have a dark belly.

Hope you can help.

Thanks ☺

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_215116.jpg
    IMG_20200224_215116.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 101
Those are definitely eggs. It's a few years since I had amanos, but I know the eggs do change colour as they mature. But I can't remember if they change from white to olive green or the other way round. The shrimp in your photo has eggs in the olive green stage.

My understanding is that Amano shrimp can't reproduce in fresh water. The fry won't survive. :(

No, they can't. The shrimp larvae need to be in salt water to survive, then when they metamorphose into shrimp shaped shrimps, they move back into freshwater. My female amanos carried eggs constantly but there were never any baby shrimps.

No, they are extremely hard to breed. Even the professionals have disagreements on what the salinity levels should be.

I've had a little read about breeding and have send how hard it is. I won't be making any special attempts to try and breed them at this time as I'm still getting to grips with some things but I just wanted to see if that was what was going on.

Thanks for your help.

You'll find that the eggs vanish one day which is when they hatch though you'll never see any trace of them. Within a day or two the female will have more eggs, assuming you have at least one male shrimp in the tank. This cycle will repeat over and over.

If you ever wanted to breed amanos, you would need to do a lot of research on the salinity level required. I think the larvae also need microscopic algae to feed on - green water.
Or breed shrimps which do not have a larval stage which requires salty water. Virtually all other shrimps in the hobby hatch to miniature adults rather than larvae and don't need salt water. I have red cherry shrimps and they are prolific breeders. I started with half a dozen and when I had to close their tank and move them to another I caught 92 ranging from adults to newly hatched babies, and I hate to think how many I missed.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.
I'm still getting used to all do the ins and outs of this hobby.
We introduced a few more shrimp today, 4 yellow and 5 blue (we had a stowaway).
They look tiny in comparison to our other shrimp and fish so hopefully they find the hiding places and stay safe while they do some growing ☺️

If the yellow and blue shrimps are both colour variants of cherry shrimps (Neocaridina davidi) they will breed together. These shrimps do produce shrimp shaped babies rather than larvae, and they will survive in fresh water (provided they don't get eaten). But just to warn you, when different coloured cherry shrimps breed the offspring are usually brown.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back