Pregnant platys???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Lots of people in the hobby get a bit snobby and dismiss livebearers as "beginner fish"
Yes, once you mention "livebearers" to a person, they're immediately targeted as being beginners fish. The commercially known ones could be labeled like that. But there are even strains of these commercial known ones that are harder to maintain. But the term "livebearer" shouldn't be labeled as "beginners fish". There are lots of livebearer species that are harder to maintain or even breed. And not all livebearer species have large drops of fry. And there are lots of livebearers that have a longer gestation period. Not all livebearers need hard water. There are lots of livebearers that need lower temperatures instead of moderate or high. Not all livebearers chase and eat their fry. Not all livebearers need to be kept at more females than males. A lot of comments at forums are based on generalization. Which is an incorrect thing to do. The real livebearer nerds among us will understand what I mean. And yes, I'm a proud livebearer nerd as well... ;)

A lot of comments at forums are based on generalization. Which is an incorrect thing to do.

Yes... it's a bit of a tricky situation trying to give advice online like this... on the one hand, forums are brilliant for getting to know other hobbyists and the chance to learn from each other, to dive deeper into the hobby, and just the chance to share the hobby with other people who understand our weird fish obsession, lol! It's also great to be able to get and give help when someone is new to the hobby and needs some fairly quick and straightforward advice. But especially when trying to help someone who is new to the hobby and potentially having a crisis, we often have to speak in general terms so as not to overwhelm them with info that isn't relevant at the time. Usually like you said, we can make some general statements about the most common commercially bred livebearers, like "they tend to have a lot of fry every month", because chances are high that those are the types of fish they have, and a common problem that a beginner who bought a load of guppies will face. But I can imagine it must be frustrating for someone who knows a lot more detail to hear these general statements that aren't always true.
I'm always open to being corrected and learning more, so please do correct me any time you think I might be giving bad info. I like to try and help, and aim to only speak from my own experiences or sources I trust, but I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes. :blush:
Yes, yours is of the Maculatus version. Maculatus and Variatus platies are the ones that are used in the commercial world. And mostly the Maculatus platies in comparison to the Variatus platies
Would you mind sharing what those differences are between Maculatus and Variatus, so I can tell the difference in the future please? I'm sorry to be a bother! I'd just like to learn when I get the chance :)

Would you mind sharing what those differences are between Maculatus and Variatus, so I can tell the difference in the future please? I'm sorry to be a bother! I'd just like to learn when I get the chance :)
No problem.
The difference between a Maculatus platy and a Variatus platy are not the colors or pattern. But it's the body shape and body size. Overhere a picture that shows the difference:
1656176100345.png

And of course, they do differ in DNA. All Variatus platies in the wild are to be found in Mexico only. The Maculatus platy however, does occur in Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Belize.

No problem.
The difference between a Maculatus platy and a Variatus platy are not the colors or pattern. But it's the body shape and body size. Overhere a picture that shows the difference:
View attachment 161970
And of course, they do differ in DNA. All Variatus platies in the wild are to be found in Mexico only. The Maculatus platy however, does occur in Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Belize.

Brilliant, thank you kindly!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back