FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Caleb545

Reaction score
I’ve recently purchased another female for my platy tank, and she’s very pregnant and the Gravid spot is extremely dark, any guess on when she will have them ?

Attachments

• 8A769E65-9DF0-4C98-972B-D4DEE06B09A8.jpeg
    8A769E65-9DF0-4C98-972B-D4DEE06B09A8.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 134
  • CA6C29BF-4758-4753-A2B3-3C9E2598AAB0.jpeg
    CA6C29BF-4758-4753-A2B3-3C9E2598AAB0.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 7AE0164D-1CD7-4B86-9E3C-BE020B7FAF16.jpeg
    7AE0164D-1CD7-4B86-9E3C-BE020B7FAF16.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 0B4781B7-CC46-4056-8348-CE8620A8BBCD.jpeg
    0B4781B7-CC46-4056-8348-CE8620A8BBCD.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 130
Out of the 25 all will be white and Grey? Was hoping that I maybe got some other colors from other generations
that is possible if they are not purebred and are mutts, but very rarely still
they do not look like mutts sadly, but i guess you will find out! g

Congrats! ?
Just give it some time and see how they will look like. If you don't know what phenotype the father is and what more influences are present in the bloodline, it can be a surpise how they'll turn out.

Out of the 25 all will be white and Grey? Was hoping that I maybe got some other colors from other generations
Hello!
I just wanted to give you some advice for caring for them, I don't know if this is your first batch of fry or not!

For feeding:
Fry need to be fed 3-5 times a day. I recommend getting crushed brine shrimp or crushing up regular fish food flakes. Do not just feed them the brine shrimp. Platy fish are omnivores, meaning they eat veggies and meat. So, if you choose to feed brine shrimp, get some algae wafers and crush it into a powder and feed them it with the brine shrimp. However, I just recommend feeding them crushed flake food since it has all the nutrients they'll need.

For cleaning:
When you do your weekly water changes, remove the babies from the breeders box and put them in a small cup or fish bowl (like the ones bettas come in, or something similar). The cup should be filled with the water from the tank so that they don't go into shock with temp and water parameter content. When done cleaning, just pour them back into the breeder.

When to Introduce them:
Fry are usually ready to be introduce when they are close to half the size of your smallest fish. Also, if you start seeing them develop their fins clearly and precisely. However, the half the size is much safer of a bet. Platys will eat their babies.

To answer your questions:
Colors will not appear until around the 6 month mark. Then they will develop their own markings. Your colors will likely be from the immediate parents in the tank. Based on the parents, most of the fish will be silver and black but each will have their own special markings. Fish continue to develop markings after the 6 month mark, especially when they are happy in their home.

Edit: Do not be surprised if you lose several babies. Platys are commonly born with defects and not a lot of them survive, especially in the wild. However, if you keep tank maintenance and feed them consistently and well, you will have a better turn out then if you didn't.

Good luck!

Congrats! ?
Just give it some time and see how they will look like. If you don't know what phenotype the father is and what more influences are present in the bloodline, it can be a surpise how they'll turn out.
yeah, i have NO IDEA what genotypes my fish have

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back