Pregnant Platy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I think my platy might be pregnant, but not sure. She seems to be getting bigger, but that could just be my imagination :blink: . She's almost constantly picking at my live plants. I know guppies will get two small black spots near the anus...do platies do the same?

It depends what colour the platy is - they do but often their skin colour means you can't see the gravid spot. :) After a few tries you'll get pretty good at telling when she's about to spawn but often its literally when you think she's going to explode that she drops them ;)

I still can't tell when my platys are gonna drop, but we have captured 2 sunset fire platy babies! :wub:

We just set up a baby tank and our momma fish is now in the breeder net. I'm just so excited! :D

They have such a short breeding cycle that if you have more than 3 there always will be at least one pregnant at any given time :)

Now I think two of my platies are pregnant :look: ...atleast I hope that's what it is. One has been hanging at the top of the tank almost all the time (especially near the filter). The other one is more active, but not as active as she usually is. I'm pretty sure their stomachs are getting bigger, but not positive. Can anyone suggestion a website, or describe to me how they would look if they are pregnant? If they are, should I be providing them with more food? Currently, they get a little frozen brine shrimp in the morning, some dried blood worms for a mid-day snack, and flakes for dinner. Oh, I was just on vacation for a week, and left a 14-day vacation "food tablet" in there. But when I came back, there was hardly any left. Could they have been eating that much extra? I'm so frazzled... :crazy: I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my girls. :wub:
Oh, another question...how long is their gestation (spelling?? lol) period?

Most reactions

Back