Pregnant Platy Or Dropsy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Macauley

Reaction score
5CDE8A85-9BF5-4FB1-B7C2-56E1ED091C21.jpeg
i think I may have a pregnant platy or she may have dropsy I’ve put her into a breeder box for safety of fry (if she is pregnant) will upload a picture with post too any help is appreciated. If pregnant how long before birth?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish is still eating then it is not dropsy. Fish with internal bacterial infections stop eating, do a stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of going off their food.

It is preferable not to move pregnant fish because you can damage them if you lift them out of water. If you have to move them, use a net to carefully catch them but keep them in the water. Then use a plastic container to scoop the fish up in the net. Move the fish to a new tank, submerge the side of the container and let the fish swim out.

Putting female fish into small breeding traps can stress them out. The best thing for female livebearers is lots of plants. The mother and babies can hide in the plants and you can use a small plastic container to scoop the babies out of the plants and move them into a rearing tank or breeding net.

The best plant for livebearers is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a floating plant that grows rapidly on the surface. However, it can also be grown in the substrate.

I concur 100% with @Colin_T, your platy doesn’t not have dropsy, she is just pregnant, is she in a breeders box? All I can do for you no way is wish you good luck! :)

Thanks for all the help guys , it’s a relatively big breeder box she’s in has plenty of room to swim around she’s eating fine and passing fine , i can see her gravid spot barely due to how darkly coloured orange she is but she does look comfortable I will update you if anything else does occur.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back