FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Woodman1992

Reaction score
Hi,
One of me dwarf guaramis has gradually become bloated, originally we thought pregnant but now after researching this Iā€™m unsure. Please let me know what to do, Iā€™m pretty new to the fish keeping life. I know my tank isnā€™t clean was in the process before I noticed the fish! They were my first fish.

Attachments

• 8B277173-ADF9-4274-B372-E8FDA241A099.jpeg
    8B277173-ADF9-4274-B372-E8FDA241A099.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 0B4848F4-7135-4C60-850D-F0BB61FD67C3.jpeg
    0B4848F4-7135-4C60-850D-F0BB61FD67C3.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 5EA62F84-452D-4476-A55C-1FA442788F8E.jpeg
    5EA62F84-452D-4476-A55C-1FA442788F8E.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 5E04698E-B25B-4E1A-969E-5B71D211EAE5.jpeg
    5E04698E-B25B-4E1A-969E-5B71D211EAE5.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 133
So I believe (Iā€™m not 100% on this) but I believe that that is a male dwarf gourami because of the pointed dorsal fin. This means that heā€™s not going to be pregnant. I donā€™t know about his stomach though. @Colin_T should be able to help better than me

Thatā€™s what I was thinking about a few weeks ago I did see them doing the swirly thing which I heard was to do with mating? Sorry Iā€™m pretty new to this

Im afraid he doesnt look well :(Going off your pictures, id say hes got pineconing which is normally a sign of dropsy or organ failure.

Im not sure there is alot you can do to help cure him at this point if thats the case.

Hopefully im wrong and another member maybe able to help

Hi,
One of me dwarf guaramis has gradually become bloated, originally we thought pregnant but now after researching this Iā€™m unsure. Please let me know what to do, Iā€™m pretty new to the fish keeping life. I know my tank isnā€™t clean was in the process before I noticed the fish! They were my first fish.
I'm no expert, but I'd advise you to isolate him and give him antibacterials. He likely has dropsy, which is usually bacterial in nature.

Hi,

thank you for all the replyā€™s I have isolated him in another tank. Is there anything else I can help him with? This will be my first fish to die if thatā€™s the case ?

Try
Hi,

thank you for all the replyā€™s I have isolated him in another tank. Is there anything else I can help him with? This will be my first fish to die if thatā€™s the case ?
Try feeding him peas, but with the pineconing i think it's dropsy. Get an antibacterial, he might have a chance. Keep him isolated though, don't want to create an immune strain of any other bacteria in the water.

I'm no expert, but I'd advise you to isolate him and give him antibacterials. He likely has dropsy, which is usually bacterial in nature.
Actually antibiotics in general. While it could be viral, it's almost certainly bacterial or parasitical. And that will kill him, so I'd say antibiotics are worth it. I've lost too many fish to dropsy.

Try

Try feeding him peas, but with the pineconing i think it's dropsy. Get an antibacterial, he might have a chance. Do isolate him though, don't want to create an immune strain of any other bacteria in the water.
Yeah I will do ASAP! Have to order as Iā€™m isolating! Hope it gets here in time any recommendations on the best stuff?

Here's what to do in the case of dropsy

Dropsy is when the belly or sometimes whole body becomes swollen. If this happens do a water change and move the fish to a hospital tank. Just a filter and heater, no substrate is required inside the hospital tank. After this, start doing salt baths so if you have a 5 gallon tank, treat the water with 1.25 teaspoons of salt. Keep doing this for 7-10 days. If there is no improvement treat the tank with Maracyn Two. The fish will absorb that through it's skin and should start fighting off the dropsy. However if this doesn't work, the salt baths aren't working and Maracyn Two isn't working either, you will most likely have to euthanize the fish which is very sad.

Here's what to do in the case of dropsy

Dropsy is when the belly or sometimes whole body becomes swollen. If this happens do a water change and move the fish to a hospital tank. Just a filter and heater, no substrate is required inside the hospital tank. After this, start doing salt baths so if you have a 5 gallon tank, treat the water with 1.25 teaspoons of salt. Keep doing this for 7-10 days. If there is no improvement treat the tank with Maracyn Two. The fish will absorb that through it's skin and should start fighting off the dropsy. However if this doesn't work, the salt baths aren't working and Maracyn Two isn't working either, you will most likely have to euthanize the fish which is very sad.
Thank you for the advice, Iā€™ll get to it straight away!

If you are in Manchester in the UK you won't be able to get antibiotics without a vet's prescription.
Two of the best anti bacterials available in the UK are eSHa 2000 and Waterlife's Myxazin but if the underlying disease is viral there is no medication that will work.

Dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease. The underlying disease could be bacterial, viral or even protozoan. Dropy usually occurs when the underlying disease has progressed so far that the kidneys have been damaged so that the body retains water instead of passing it out, and the body swells up.

If you are in Manchester in the UK you won't be able to get antibiotics without a vet's prescription.
Two of the best anti bacterials available in the UK are eSHa 2000 and Waterlife's Myxazin but if the underlying disease is viral there is no medication that will work.

Dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease. The underlying disease could be bacterial, viral or even protozoan. Dropy usually occurs when the underlying disease has progressed so far that the kidneys have been damaged so that the body retains water instead of passing it out, and the body swells up.
Hi,

thanks for this Iā€™ll have a look! Really
Hope this helps! Yes Iā€™m in Manchester UK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back